Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Older eyes.

Consider getting the new Knobloch or "Jagger" glasses from Champion Choice orChampion Shooter supply, then talk with your eye doctor about setting the :dominant eye to fcus at the nominal distance that your front sight will be, as measure from yout eye to the front sight. Have recent ly re adjusted mine to focus @ 36 inches.

For regular glassed consider rotating the close-up bifocal, ninety degrees, as this will minimize rolling your head back to use the bifical lens.
    I was shooting a league with a revovler [only one of two] as the distance increase, the RO indiacted that before his retirement as a LEO, he rotated the bifocal to vertical from his nose to almost mid-point, but it allowed him to use his sidearm eaasily for firing.

2. Default

"When I'm 74 hope I'm still knocking them down", I hear ya , hope I can still get out there by then LOL .
    One thing that has helped me with handguns is wider rear sight notch . Even with a fuzzy front post , with the extra daylight on each side I can center the front post up better .
    My glocks I installed after market night sights , the rear notch is significantly wider , with my 629 , took the rear blade out and carefully filed the notch a little on each side , putting it back in and checking it till I got enough day light on each side . Still can't shoot a handgun like I used to , but can maintain two inch groups with the 629 at 25 yds . Started carrying it again hoping for a up close shot on a white tail . In field conditions , I will not try it past 25-30 yds . Confidence has suffered some too and want to make sure I do it right with first shot .
    These days a follow up shot would probably be pretty shabby .
    Got a couple 03's with Williams rear peeps I can still see ok in the shade , but in bright sun they go down the tube .
    Kenneth
    Last edited by aintright; 11-21-2017 at 05:15.

Quote Originally Posted by jjrothWA View Post
    Consider getting the new Knobloch or "Jagger" glasses from Champion Choice orChampion Shooter supply, then talk with your eye doctor about setting the :dominant eye to fcus at the nominal distance that your front sight will be, as measure from yout eye to the front sight. Have recent ly re adjusted mine to focus @ 36 inches.

For regular glassed consider rotating the close-up bifocal, ninety degrees, as this will minimize rolling your head back to use the bifical lens.
    I was shooting a league with a revovler [only one of two] as the distance increase, the RO indiacted that before his retirement as a LEO, he rotated the bifocal to vertical from his nose to almost mid-point, but it allowed him to use his sidearm eaasily for firing.
    Interesting, my problem is my long distance vision is 20/20 only up close do I have a vision correction. Probably why fully extended pistol and rifle front sights are fine, just the closer rear V rifle sight is giving me issues. I'm sure time will take care of my 20/20 long vision to though....

"...can see the front sight but not the rear..." That's actually ok as long as you can see the rear well enough to put the front where it belongs. Mind you, those V notch sights were never any good when compared to a peep.
    It'd be a cryin' shame to Bubba a vintage battle rifle just because of one's eye sight though.
    "...expect losses till around 55..." I think he's being optimistic. Mind you, I got specs for distance at 42ish and my vision hasn't gotten any worse. Hearing is gone in one ear though. Fortunately, I'm, not listening anyway. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

With my m1a with the hooded rear aperture, I bought an Olson lense the is held in place with O'rings. works great.
    I can still see the sights on my Kimber Polymer Target 1911 as it has a big target (Bowmar) sight on it.
    When it comes to small sights like on a Makarov, well, the groups OPEN UP.

As our eyes age and our accuracy diminishes it's still important we hit our targets. We need guns that don't need to be aimed so precisely.
    We need guns like the Blunderbuss, sawed off shotguns, machine guns and 40mm grenade launchers. Just my 2 cents worth though.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    As our eyes age and our accuracy diminishes it's still important we hit our targets. We need guns that don't need to be aimed so precisely.
    We need guns like the Blunderbuss, sawed off shotguns, machine guns and 40mm grenade launchers. Just my 2 cents worth though.
    AAA?
    Sam

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    What a joy not to have to wear glasses after 55 years!!!
    Sam
    What a joy to be wearing glasses the countless times they've prevented something--a twig I didn't notice when walking through brush, a foreign object thrown up when operating some machine, etc.--from hitting my eyes. Sure, you can put on eye protection when expecting trouble, but trouble has the unfortunate habit of coming when you don't expect it.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Mind you, those V notch sights were never any good when compared to a peep...
    Of course not, but who, most often, were those rifles with V-notches issued to? Young bucks between 17 and their early '20s; possessing perfect visual "accommodation" in other words. Not too many 40 yr old eyes in the ranks.
    Last edited by clintonhater; 11-27-2017 at 07:17.

Gave up and sold my 03 over a decade ago because I could no longer see the thin sights. -

I never owned a 1903 and I've had a lot of rifles. I thought that was kind of Un-American so I finally picked one up and immediately sold it. I shoot everything(almost) I own and even though there's five different ways to use the rear sight I couldn't use it at all. I don't own an 03a3 either right now, but I'd sure like to pick one up. I hate old time mauser v notch sights but miraculously I can actually still hit pretty good with them even though it's just a blur. Cheaters sound like a good idea but I worry about eye protection.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.