Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Older eyes.

Default Older eyes.

Just curious if others have followed this trend. As I am Bumping 50 my close vision is starting to go. I've shot iron sight rifles for years well, at least in my opinion. I find myself moving to scoped rifles the last few years, with the diopter and magnification trumping vision issues. You middle age guys do the same or go a different route. I can still shoot sights like the M1, No IV LE, and O3A3 well, it is the rear V notch on the No 1 LE and 1903 that has become difficult. I can see the front sight but not the rear sight as it is blurry. The rear sight is just the right distance from my eyes that I can not focus on it. i can put the fish eye type device (not right name) on my glasses and it helps, but that will fade in a few more years. Getting old sucks.

I've gone to optics which help greatly. I still use the peep on my M1 only because I don't want to spend the money for a rail. I cant really see the front post on my 1911 so just point and shoot.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

leftyo Guest

most peoples eye's start going downhill sometime in their 40's. love me a high quality optic!

I still like open sights. On a rifle it doesn't seem to matter since I am concentrating on a target far away and the sights just seem to align themselves. On pistols it's another story. At close range targets (squirrels) I try to focus on the object, the rear sight and the front sight at the same time. It is a pain for me to see the dark front sight in less than brilliant sunlight so I switched over to pistol's with the red ramp sight. Helped me. As far as scopes go I like Leupold because the eye relief is like 4-5" and easy to sight with where the cheaper scopes may have a 2-3" relief and by the time you get everything focused just right your target is long gone.

If you're bumping 50 and just now having eye problems you are lucky. Immediately after I turned 40 my close up vision started to go. I had to start using reading glasses to read anything at all. Then I had to start going to stronger strengths on the glasses. Finally I went to the doctor expecting the worse fearing I had cataracts. After the exam and telling the doc what was going on he laughed and said "turned 40 huh?".

5. Default

You might want to try low power reading glasses. I started out using .5 power years ago and have worked my way up to 1.0 and sometimes 1.25 power depending on the light conditions. The lower power reading glasses sharpen the front sight on pistol and rifle for me and I can still see at distance. At 66 yoa, I know optics are in my near future but I will stay with iron sights as long as possible.

My close in vision is fine. I remove my glasses or look under them. My bifocals are set at arms length so I can read a tape measure or a baseball scorecard on my lap. (Same bifocal in my sunglasses) Makes reading the dashboard easier too.
    I put Williams Fire Sights on my 22 mag rifle. Easier to put the dots on a 'yote at dusk. Thinking about doing it with some other guns as well.
    Gave up and sold my 03 over a decade ago because I could no longer see the thin sights. The M1's and M1917's are OK using the peep since I can superimpose the front sight on target easier. Struggling to shoot my earlier Lee Enfields though.
    On my H&R 45-70 I toyed with different sight combos. Discovered a front fire sight and the u notch in the factory rear worked better than anything else...for me.

Handguns...not much I can do with my S&W's being older models. My Rugers will easily accept Fire sights or tru-glo's. Thinking about that so I can stretch my range out again.
    Putting optics on everything runs into the $$$KER_CHING$$$ range. I expect to have to glass a few though.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

At 74 I have to have optics to shoot about anything. I made a good shot last week and bagged a whitetail. It lasered out to be 155 yards. I was using one of my '03 Springfields in '06 with a 165 Gr. #2145 SRA SBT ahead of 46.x gr of 4895 in a LC 69 Match case. The little buck was moving from left to right with his head down.

Most of my scopes are Leupold 3X9's and I usually leave them on 3 power. My favorite scope is on my little full Mannlicher stocked 1903 that was put together by the Fajun Custom Shop in 1973. It is a vintage Weaver 4X with fine crosshairs. As far as handguns go I have Tru-glos and a laser on my HK USPC .40 and don't use the sights on my 838 S&W... it is all instinct in 10 yards or less.

Had both eyes done last year, only reading glasses now. What a joy not to have to wear glasses after 55 years!!!
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I still like open sights. On a rifle it doesn't seem to matter since I am concentrating on a target far away and the sights just seem to align themselves. On pistols it's another story. At close range targets (squirrels) I try to focus on the object, the rear sight and the front sight at the same time. It is a pain for me to see the dark front sight in less than brilliant sunlight so I switched over to pistol's with the red ramp sight. Helped me. As far as scopes go I like Leupold because the eye relief is like 4-5" and easy to sight with where the cheaper scopes may have a 2-3" relief and by the time you get everything focused just right your target is long gone.

If you're bumping 50 and just now having eye problems you are lucky. Immediately after I turned 40 my close up vision started to go. I had to start using reading glasses to read anything at all. Then I had to start going to stronger strengths on the glasses. Finally I went to the doctor expecting the worse fearing I had cataracts. After the exam and telling the doc what was going on he laughed and said "turned 40 huh?".
    My doctor said same I was behind curve but expect losses till around 55. He said around 55 the drop slows way down and Lasiks would be an option. i wear readers at 1 or 1.5 if that's what I find. Pistol does not bother me at all for some reason. I punch out and can see both. It's the dang rear sight on. My No 1 Mk III and * along with 1903s. The rear sight is just fuzzy enough I can pick front sight up through rear V

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    My close in vision is fine. I remove my glasses or look under them. My bifocals are set at arms length so I can read a tape measure or a baseball scorecard on my lap. (Same bifocal in my sunglasses) Makes reading the dashboard easier too.
    I put Williams Fire Sights on my 22 mag rifle. Easier to put the dots on a 'yote at dusk. Thinking about doing it with some other guns as well.
    Gave up and sold my 03 over a decade ago because I could no longer see the thin sights. The M1's and M1917's are OK using the peep since I can superimpose the front sight on target easier. Struggling to shoot my earlier Lee Enfields though.
    On my H&R 45-70 I toyed with different sight combos. Discovered a front fire sight and the u notch in the factory rear worked better than anything else...for me.

Handguns...not much I can do with my S&W's being older models. My Rugers will easily accept Fire sights or tru-glo's. Thinking about that so I can stretch my range out again.
    Putting optics on everything runs into the $$$KER_CHING$$$ range. I expect to have to glass a few though.
    I shoot some rifle compitetions so have some Bushell Elite HDMRs that work very well. Just ordered an IOR Valdada TX Raider (built on Lutaz line with slitghy different reticle) for a 260 competition rig. However that will probably be my last high dollar scope. By the time you built the rifle get glass etc your into a good used car price

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    At 74 I have to have optics to shoot about anything. I made a good shot last week and bagged a whitetail. It lasered out to be 155 yards. I was using one of my '03 Springfields in '06 with a 165 Gr. #2145 SRA SBT ahead of 46.x gr of 4895 in a LC 69 Match case. The little buck was moving from left to right with his head down.

Most of my scopes are Leupold 3X9's and I usually leave them on 3 power. My favorite scope is on my little full Mannlicher stocked 1903 that was put together by the Fajun Custom Shop in 1973. It is a vintage Weaver 4X with fine crosshairs. As far as handguns go I have Tru-glos and a laser on my HK USPC .40 and don't use the sights on my 838 S&W... it is all instinct in 10 yards or less.
    When I'm 74 I hope I'm still knocking them down....