Default Recommended flashlights

Yeah I know, this isn't the flashlight forum but as least it will be a break from politics.

Actually this subject came up about a year or so ago back when all those space age, indestructible super bright little flashlights were seen and advertised everywhere. I advised everyone NOT to buy one because I had already been thru 4 or 5 trying to find one that would last more than a few minutes before the bulb burned out. Not only are the bulbs non-replaceable, they don't interchange between models and all of them being from the same Asian origin had the same annoying "strobe" feature that always came on when you didn't want it to. I never had to recharge the batteries in any of them because the lights did not last that long. If you notice you don't see or hear anything about them any more.

If you're still awake here comes my 2 cents worth. A flashlight can be just like a gun, a truck, a tire jack, ladder, rope and other items in that when you need one you need one. I, like you, probably have been down many different avenues on this including lights that came with cordless drill packages.

What I have found that I like is: (drum roll) The Stanley Fatmax 2200 lumens spot light. This light has a spotlight brightness mode and a dimmer mode that is still brighter than most conventional lights. It has a built in lithium battery with an AC charger and a DC charger for your car so it would be great to travel with. You would never run out of battery power unless you somehow ran your car and flashlight battery down. I have had mine for about 6 months and have used it while working on appliances and so forth. It will light up trees over 1/4 mile away. I've only charged it twice and didn't need to. Shown is a file picture from ebay but I found the best price at Wal-Mart @ $50. Remember when you need one you need one. They have one that is cheaper but it doesn't have the brighter spotlight mode. It comes with a red transparent lenses cap that comes off. It is super bright--it pretty much lights up the yard at night where you are walking. You can shine it at your neighbors houses several doors down if you get bored. On a police car spotlight you can shine it at a street light at the photocell and put the light out. I have yet to be able to do that with this light so it isn't as bright so don't get your hopes up. The little flipper deal on top (it folds down) is a stand. I first noticed this light on an episode of "Moonshiners".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STANLEY-FAT...wAAOSwridaCmYS

Too rich for your blood? These lights I have only found from sellers on ebay. They run about $9 inc postage and up. They take 3 AA's and have the LED bulbs/lens. They are fairly bright (brighter than conventional lights) and use little power. The batteries are included. Usually the off brand batts are junk but these have lasted months so far with a lot of use and I still have a bright light. Another feature of this light is it is water resistant and very light weight. I bought several for stocking stuffers this Christmas.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorcy-41-25...8AAOSw5cRZHT80

This is probably the longest thread I have written here and don't plan on making a habit of it. You are no doubt bored and maybe even suicidal by now (remember Airplane the movie?) but I wouldn't have written all this krap if I hadn't had good luck with them. Your millage may vary but this is what has worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSALQn0u9z4
    Last edited by Allen; 11-15-2017 at 09:29.

I actually like the flash lights that you can wear on your head. They free up your hands.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Thanks for the post. Currently using a three cell spun aluminum nickel plated Ray-O-Vac with the OEM bulb. It's old school, but it compliments my OS clothes and hunting equipment! Must admit, have a nice little hot shot light that my wife bought. It uses 3 AAA batteries. That thing has a beam that will clearly illuminate things well over 150 yards away. Weighs maybe 3-4 oz. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Have a couple of the new generation flashlights like the one bruce mentions. Can go from flood to spot and extremely powerful. Not expensive and so far no troubles. Have one of the first generation Cree flashlights about the size of a 20 gauge shell and takes the CR123A battery that I bought 7 or 8 years ago and still going strong. Wouldn't go back to the old 3 cell D Maglight now.

Re:Wouldn't go back to the old 3 cell D Maglight now. Ah now! Once upon a time when I wandered through dim/dark not nice places doing unarmed security, I found a nice HEAVY Maglight to be a mighty comforting thing in hand. It worked for all manner of stuff ... you know! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Re:Wouldn't go back to the old 3 cell D Maglight now. Ah now! Once upon a time when I wandered through dim/dark not nice places doing unarmed security, I found a nice HEAVY Maglight to be a mighty comforting thing in hand. It worked for all manner of stuff ... you know! Sincerely. bruce.
    I too used to carry a 3 cell D Maglight on night shifts at the refinery. Later refinery API guidelines prohibited such (has to be spark proof) and the company started issuing their own lights. The Maglight was a fine, trouble free well made light used by a lot of law enforcement but a little heavy. The newer models like those above are brighter, lighter, rechargeable and cheaper.

Any small metal flashlight that will work and uses double or triple A batteries. I'm not going to war or walking a footbeat down dark alleys any longer so I don't need the big five or six cell maglights. Just something for the house, backyard and garage. Keep a light in the car and the truck and one in each motorcycle. They are relatively inexpensive and easily replaceable.

The Chinese do make junk for those who are cheap enough to buy it, but there are some great products out there. I will never own one of those toy flashlights with the strobe. I take photo's at night so I love my little red beam headlamp.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Hard to beat a Mag-lite, minimum twocell,for car and when I travel at night have a mini-magon my belt.

When daughters got cars, they and the wife got the two-cells for their cars. when they asked why, I took one flashlight down to work bench with them and pound nails into a 2x4.
    They understood.

Unfortunately, Mag-lite stopped using regional/state repair centers, and now you have to send back to CA for repairs.

10. Default

The lights lowes sells up front are worth looking at , you can look at them and pretty much sort the junk from the good ones . Oz ark makes good lights too . Kenneth