Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We are very lucky to have 14 year old girls willing to hunt and it would be a shame to penalize her. The elk bull would die of old age 10 times before it would find an elk cow in Missouri.

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Or how about somebody that shoots a Grizzly bear in Arkansas
    I have a neighbor who is frequently mistaken for a Grizzly bear.

Off topic some but, My friend lives in rural Iowa and raises cattle. A few years ago he hired a company to build a rather large pond on his property. When construction was done and the pond filled with water he paid to have several species of fish put in his pond. Now the pond is about a city block from the nearest road. One day he and his grand children were fishing the pond when along comes a game warden. He wanted to see their fishing licenses which they did not have and wrote my friend up with a ticket. WOW, was he ever mad! In court the judge upheld the game warden's actions. So, even tho you build your own pond, pay to have it stocked, you still need a fishing license.

leftyo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Off topic some but, My friend lives in rural Iowa and raises cattle. A few years ago he hired a company to build a rather large pond on his property. When construction was done and the pond filled with water he paid to have several species of fish put in his pond. Now the pond is about a city block from the nearest road. One day he and his grand children were fishing the pond when along comes a game warden. He wanted to see their fishing licenses which they did not have and wrote my friend up with a ticket. WOW, was he ever mad! In court the judge upheld the game warden's actions. So, even tho you build your own pond, pay to have it stocked, you still need a fishing license.
    always, in the eye's of the law you can own the land around water, even if you built the pond they dont see it as you owning whats in it.

5. Default

Don't think I'd bully a girl who knows how to shoot and likes to hunt.

It's easy to bully someone when hiding behind a keyboard. Especially if they're over thirty and living at home with mom.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    It's easy to bully someone when hiding behind a keyboard. Especially if they're over thirty and living at home with mom.
    I wonder if any of the people saying they wouldn't have taken the shot are really hunters. I took my second whitetail for this season late yesterday afternoon. I meat hunt and wouldn't shoot a buck (unless it was a record book whitetail). I saw two and thought it was a doe and a yearling. I had a any deer tag so I shot the bigger of the two. It was a 150 yard, off hand, shot and the deer jumped over a fence and disappeared. It managed to travel about 50 yards and dropped. When I found it I was surprised it was a 2 year old buck. It had 4 points on one side and 3 on the other.

Now all those naysayers are going to claim I am a bad sport, and a bad hunter. I don't care. I'm going to be feasting on lean and healthy venison all through next year while they are eating grocery store grease burgers.

The only wild elk I know of in Missouri are at the Peck Ranch Conservation Area in the county to the west of here...I'm curious how an elk wandered from Carter County across the Missouri River without being noticed......BTW, it's a good 3 hour drive from Carter County to Boone County...couild the elk have escaped from captivity, or even turned loose?

I think her shooting that elk is a mistake that even an experienced hunter might make...
    I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it.-Mark Twain

I was selected for a managed bow hunt for deer at Peck Ranch two consecutive years. All the Elk at Peck Ranch have GPS collars. I doubt that it escaped from there. The Elk are inside an eight foot fence which encloses sixteen hundred acres.

Quote Originally Posted by pcox View Post
    I was selected for a managed bow hunt for deer at Peck Ranch two consecutive years. All the Elk at Peck Ranch have GPS collars. I doubt that it escaped from there. The Elk are inside an eight foot fence which encloses sixteen hundred acres.
    Local scuttlebutt is contradicting the story. I met some guys at the processing site that swear the event happened in Miller Co. not Boone. In any event I believe all the the Peck Ranch elk have ear tags as well, and IIRC the elk on private ranches must have ear tags. The Dep't. of Cons are doing DNA research to see where the elk originated.

I have personally seen two wild creatures that are not supposed to be in MO... A wolf and a full grown Mountain lion. My wife and I saw the wolf twice. It was as big as a German Shepard dog but you could tell from his gait that it was a wild creature. My neighbor lost a calf to a predator he thought was a mountain lion. I got up one morning and sure enough there it was walking across the dam on my pond. I would have killed it if I could but by the time I could get my rifle it was gone. Two weeks later a mountain lion was killed by a car a few miles from here.