Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Has anyone bought/used....

Has anyone bought/used the latest "Hercules" 20V Drill-Driver from Harbor Freight yet?

The online so-called reviews are purely speculation as most have only looked at them in the stores. One fellow did a comparison to DeWalt on YouTube, but he didn't actually WORK with it.
    I'm in the market for a new battery drill as my old, old Porter-Cables are finally going. Batteries are NG and replacements can be had for *just* $80+ each depending upon where one searches. Even the refurbished batteries are not exactly affordable as two pairs cost more than the drill motors did originally.
    As of now I'm coaxing the last 14.4v along with what's left of a finicky 12v just to keep at least one drill motor running. The 12v won't accept the 14.4 battery even though the drill motor itself is in better condition.

The reviews (sales hype and hyperbole) make the Herc look pretty darned good. Price point is within reason. Batteries are only $30 per and the kit is on sale for a $99 introductory offer. One drill motor with case and charger...and THREE batteries for $160.

If it can do the work I'm fine with all that. So, has anyone put one to the test?

PS. I've worked over the years with nearly every major brand name drill out there. Even did field testing for two major brands. I know what I like and what I don't. So please, please don't try to sell me on your favorite? I don't care what others like Ryobi, Hitachi, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita...yadda yadda yadda have to offer. I have my choices in mind. All I need to know is if the Herc is the better bang for the buck.

Thanks
    Last edited by JB White; 08-27-2017 at 12:44.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

2. Default

I'm still working with the tools every day on the job... believe it or not I've found Ryobi from Home Depot to be the best bang for the buck. Been using my latest 18 volt hard for for the past 4 years and its still going strong with the original 2 batteries ... and I've owned them all .

in fact... I have another Ryobi drill I purchased 15 years ago. I removed the handle from my RCBS case trimer and chucked the drill onto it .... still working just fine.

Sorry you didn't want to hear that but frankly..... everything I've ever purchased at Harbor Freight has been a total bummer
    Last edited by Sandpebble; 08-27-2017 at 01:21.

You're probably trading out of box performance for durability. Only you know if that matters.
    Last edited by togor; 08-27-2017 at 06:49.

Looks like a good deal and if it's not....you're not out that much money.

https://www.harborfreight.com/quickv...index/id/12111

I'd say it worth the gamble, JB. Are they available in the Harbor Freight Stores or must it be ordered on-line? If available at the HF store, then you can probably take another 20% off of the listed price with a coupon that's always available in their ad flyers.

Many years ago I had a Skill cordless drill. I loved it and wore out the batteries. Guess what? Skill had discontinued the drill and stopped making the batteries. Had the same problem with B&D and Craftsman drills. The next time I needed a drill I bought a Makita. While not a Makita fan I did so because I knew I could always find batteries. This drill is 25 years old now and I bought 2 new batteries recently. I also have an 18v Dewalt which is now obsolete due to the 20v lithium models but I will probably always be able to find the 18v's for it. Now, who has ever heard of Hercules and will HF even be selling this drill in 2-3 years much less the batteries? Even if the batts interchanged with the famous makes (which if they did they would be broadcasting it) where would you find other parts? I have burned out several triggers using cordless drills in my previous jobs. Not trying to sell you on Dewalt but I'm well pleased with mine and would gladly pay the difference.

leftyo Guest

some of the harbor freight junk is useable for ordinary tasks, but id not bet my money on their cordless power tools.

Sandpebble, I guarantee your batteries aren't the new lithium batteries everybody is now selling. I too have had good drills and chargers go down because the batteries hit their cycle limit and were obsolete/unavailable. I'm there again right now.

Togor, they are claiming comparable performance to big name tools. In fact they (HF) are taking them head on with their new target market. This one in particular is aimed at DeWalt. Another brand they offer is going at Snap-On. These aren't the same limited usage tools they built the business on.

Oyaji, that's what I'm looking at and the price point is enticing enough to feel as though it's worth the chance. Especially with a trio of lithium batteries.

Allen, if you had the 12v Skil Top Gun...that was indeed a performer! Went through a couple of triggers and a clutch myself but Skil kept right on rebuilding it. Each time it came back with a new Jacobs chuck and another new battery. Bosch killed it when they acquired Skil.
    I've used Makitas and Dewalts. In the late 70's and early 80's Makita had the best thing going in cordless drills. The company owned Milwaukees were tossed in the corner for lack of torque and short run time. Others were mostly high RPM/low torque and couldn't take a hard days work. When DeWalt went from being strictly industrial to catering to the homeowner market (B&D used the name for their better tools) they were OK, but I could wreck a drill in under a year. Batteries....there again they all changed their batteries and the cost of those things made it impractical to not buy another entire kit. I did like the Dewalt as I owned one after I relegated my Top Gun to home use.

Leftyo, if this was just another HF cordless like their other ones, I wouldn't be asking. In fact, I'm asking because of their reputation. I wouldn't have given this drill a second look if it didn't look as though they might finally have something going on.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

leftyo Guest

you seem convinced its a superior product, so why are you asking us. just go buy it.

Blog Entries

Enter the Chinese conundrum:
    I hate giving the Chinese any of my money. That said, I can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy any power tool and find it is assembled in Mexico, Malaysia, Singapore or if lucky USA. I have found sawblades made in the USA, but most is made not-USA. Then there is the higher price paid for trade names, Skil, DeWalt, etc.

When I need a new tool, I need it right now. As much as I hate doing it, I find myself going to Harbor Freight and paying 1/3rd to 1/2 less for the tool. If it craps out (which it really never does) after its use, I'm still ahead.

I would love to see the American tool makers come back with a vengenge, but as long as they have their parts manufactured not-USA, I don't see it happening.

Thus the conundrum; less expensive and maybe not as durable overseas goods, or more expensive and maybe still not as durable goods "made in the USA", with a portion of the purchase cost still going overseas.

Batteries Plus can rebuild / re-cell batteries for many tools. Other large battery outlets probably will do the same. If you can solder, replacing the cells is very easy.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/t/services/tech-center

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repl...ool-Batteries/