Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bot warnings

Default Bot warnings

Recently I've been getting bot warnings when I visit certain sites. Pop up warnings are from Xfinity (my provider) Constant Guard. This doesn't fix anything. Only redirects me to free sites which claim they can either remove or quarantine. I'm not familiar with them even though I read what they claim to do. Some of them do not appear to be user friendly, needing to type in code etc. Intimidating to someone like me who isn't exactly "in the know" since Windows 95.

McAfee is my AV.

Question: Is anyone familiar with known good free downloads which do not interfere with my AV software? Years ago I had conflicts with Nortons when using additional protection software. I'd don't wish to deal with that mess again.

Fact or coincidence: This started when Jouster went down and I was clicking in regularly to see what progress was being made. Got a lot of different "reactions" while the site was offline. So, I don't really know where it came from. Guessing my computer wasn't up to snuff to stop any bots exploiting a weakened site address. Just odd that it happened at the same time this site was down.
    I was told to reset my wireless router and that worked for a couple of days. This morning I checked in here first, over to Gunboards, then went to a British REME site when the popup began again. Can't help but be a little suspicious.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Do you ever run a CCleaner clean up scan to clear out your cookies and useless internet files?
    If you haven't then you need to. CNet has a free version of CCleaner, it can be a bit frustration getting it installed but well worth it.

JB,

Those pop up sites sound like they could be adware. I had similar experiences but only when I'm on Facebook with my Ipad. Don't open them.

Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Sako View Post
    Do you ever run a CCleaner clean up scan to clear out your cookies and useless internet files?
    If you haven't then you need to. CNet has a free version of CCleaner, it can be a bit frustration getting it installed but well worth it.
    CCleaner? Two questions. OK...two MORE questions. Any known conflicts with AV? Will it clean out the "important" cookies like those which allow me to come here without having to log in all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    JB,

Those pop up sites sound like they could be adware. I had similar experiences but only when I'm on Facebook with my Ipad. Don't open them.

Merc
    Adware crossed my mind. From Comcast/Xfinity? I wouldn't put it past them. It's not a popup one can close easily. To get rid of it I need to restart my browser. Annoying as all he....heck.

Panicware Popup Stopper. https://pop-up-stopper-free-edition.en.softonic.com/
    "...to come here..." One time thing, if you delete cookies. Once you log in again, you'll be back to being logged in here. Mind you, a Windows update can do it too.
    "... conflicts with Norton..." Norton tends to takeover your machine without asking. Changes the home page to their site and fiddles with your e-mail program(like Outlook) if you're one. Doesn't mess with on-line e-mail.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Panicware Popup Stopper. https://pop-up-stopper-free-edition.en.softonic.com/
    "...to come here..." One time thing, if you delete cookies. Once you log in again, you'll be back to being logged in here. Mind you, a Windows update can do it too.
    "... conflicts with Norton..." Norton tends to takeover your machine without asking. Changes the home page to their site and fiddles with your e-mail program(like Outlook) if you're one. Doesn't mess with on-line e-mail.
    Thanks for that, but if it only blocks the popup...what if I really AM infected with a bot???

I had bitcoin mining software loaded on my computer by an unknown source. The problem was if your computer was idle the program would start to mine bitcoins and send the information via the internet. My AV software (AGV) identified the program but it could not remove it. Every few minutes AGV would popup a notification. Google suggested Malwarebytes to remove the program. I used the trial version and it removed the program but it also flagged Office 2007 as a potential threat. I uninstalled Malwarebytes and Office 2007 worked and minning software was gone.

http://www.myantispyware.com/downloa...-anti-malware/

Update. I checked the mentioned add-on software and on more than one occasion, conflicts and lost files were reported.
    *sigh* I've been there before. Call me chicken****.
    I also read at some places during my searching that using the features built into the Windows OS is usually enough to correct things. I tried it. So far so good unless that little bugger found a dark corner to hide.

Spoke too soon. However this site seems to be pulling the trigger. Had a hard time even posting here. Telling me I needed to enter more than one character. For the heck of it I restored my system back to last month just to get this far.

I never have any of these problems and I surf a lot........

Here are my 5 basic and steadfast rules.

1. Use only Firefox. (Internet Explorer is nothing but a giant virus all by itself)
    2. Use a Virus protection program. I use AVG and KEEP IT UPDATED. (its has been rated as #1 for years now)
    3. Install Adblock plus and Privacy badger (Free for Firefox AND Internet Explorer for those of you dumb enough to keep using it)
    4. Install and RUN CCCleaner (free from Piriform) after EVERY PC session, and keep it up to date.

And helpful but not necessary, would be to PROPERLY remove any unused or unneeded programs or apps from your machine. Don't know what you have or how to find it? Load and run a scan from BELARC advisor.

good luck!
    Last edited by PaFrank; 12-14-2017 at 07:10.
    He who beats his sword into a plowshare, will soon be plowing for somebody else!