Thread: Mauser G41

Default Mauser G41

An incredible gun, and a nice presentation by Ian. I watch it every once in awhile as a favorite"rerun".

https://youtu.be/ehLg3n9_ruM

There is a member here (Tom in NJ) that had a G41M years ago and even shot it.

Many years ago I fired about forty rounds of pre WW2 German 7,92mm (brass cases) through a friends G41W which has
    the same bolt mechanism of the G43. Excellent shooting, very accurate at 100 yards no problems feeding or extracting and
    recoil was nice, main problem was cleaning after the shooting, very dirty and took a lot of time to clean.

Yes that G41 gas system! German ordnance, like ours, forbade a gas port in the barrel of the service rifle. A bunch of Mauser sentimentalists, I suppose. Our guys came to their senses first. Interestingly enough the Soviets did not have similar feelings towards their Mosins, and the SVT-40 had the benefit of a gas port straight away, and good gas system to go with it.

What happened to the SVT-40 ? seems like it died even before the end of WW2, never seen any photos of use in Korea ?

Some had the fluted chamber while others did not

I thought the Commies in Korea got by on Mosins and Arisakas and subguns. A semi-auto rifle like the M1, SVT-40 or even a G43 would be beyond the training of your average peasant cadre. If not mistaken the SVTs went into storage and were later surplused out.