Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

+1 on calling a locksmith. The guy we use for our range locks and member keys says those electronic locks are his job security! I had asked him if I could change my dial lock to electronic and that was his answer. He can get them open, maybe he uses the rare earth magnet process from jmm03. He can also replace them with mechanical. I'm sure these aren't rare skills and you can find them near you. Even if the safe is 13 years old, I'd fix what you have and not destroy it and buy another. It can be a pain moving those things. A buddy of mine is moving to Idaho and we just moved his three safes down a bunch of stairs into his garage. PITA.

2. Default

Thanks guys. On the trail of a locksmith now. No plan to damage my safe. PD

After reading all the comments I have decided against purchasing an electronic safe for the Lair, looking at other options...open to any suggestions to secure my long "friends". Thought of buying an 18 weapon Stack On gun cabinet and enclosing it with a hidden type door.
    Sam

5. Default

What others have said. A commercial safe company locksmith told me many years ago electric keypads were good for business. He had just retuned from a supermarket that couldn't get it's electric safe lock to work and could not open for business for several hours until he was finally called.

Pete, how did you finally make out with your safe issue? (p.s., any pictures of recent stonework?) Jim

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Pete, how did you finally make out with your safe issue? (p.s., any pictures of recent stonework?) Jim

I was wondering about that myself.

8. Default

Doing it now! Will copy. PD

Pete, only two may have asked but rest assured they weren't the only ones wondering how you handled it.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

10. Default

OK

Locksmith came. We had to drill twice and got in.
    Replaced the keypad with a dial lock. I'm trained on it now. It has a key if i want to lock the dial.

Overall it cost me some money. About what an '03 cost in 1995.

PD

smith
    standard.jpg

drilled lock
    standard.jpg

finished and closed
    standard.jpg

I feel better now!

PD