Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Gun Safe Lockout

Safe is a Cannon American Eagle purchased 2003.

Keypad functions, recognizes code but solenoid fails to kick open the lugs.

Have tried lithium battery, pounding on the door and all the other recommended fixes.

Called Cannon and got someone in the p'pines.

About to call a locksmith who can drill.

Any experience here?

PD

2. Default

One more thing to fear from the Nork's EMP. Not being familiar with one my thought is you are going to have to access the camming mechanism by trashing the dial/keypad part.

3. Default

No doubt. Always was a tad leery of the keypad lock. 13 years is a good service life I reckon. I will replace with a dial unit, assuming I can ever get back in there.

PD

4. Default

Get a case of beer and invite some friends to bring a crowbar. A good angle grinder with several cutoff blades and you could peel the top or bottom off without serious damage to the Purdey.

What did Cannon tell you? If they told you "sorry, you're SOL" and left you hanging...screw that outfit.
    They should have at least offered some sort of help or options.
    Last edited by JB White; 11-11-2017 at 02:50.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Call a professional. They will know how to get into that lock without destroying your safe in the process.
    There should not be a need to drill, cut into the safe or any of that nonsense.
    Google your local area to find a good locksmith that specializes in safes.

They will also likely tell you (if they are honest) that digital keypads are more trouble than they are worth.

7. Default

Cannon operator kept telling me to change the battery. They said that if all the fixes I mentioned were ineffective, thast Cannon would arrange a drill-out in the #4-500range. That's it.

PD

leftyo Guest

i learned a few years back. had a browning safe that the solenoid failed in. i cut the safe open as it wasnt worth the money to have a locksmith drill it out and then repair it. not that a mechanical dial lock cant fail, but very rare.

Pete, I watched a youtube video by I believe "Mr. Locksmith" or something similar where he used a strong rare earth magnet and opened the safe in about 30 seconds flat. He put the magnet at around the 11 oclock position relative to the dial and it activated the lock mechanism solenoid. Worth a look. Good luck. Jim

Doesn't take or require a lock smith. You can drill the thing yourself with any hand drill.
    Rare Earth magnets can be had from Lee Valley Tools, as I recall. 1/2" x 1/8" runs $1.60.
    Spelling and grammar count!