Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doesn't make sense!

My Black and Decker cordless screwdriver battery [Versapak] finally gave up the ghost. Cheaper to buy a new Black and Decker cordless screwdriver then try and replace the battery. I use the screwdriver to power my case trimmer.
    Sam

Been that way for about twenty years; where ya been?
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

What makes me mad is when the charger for the batteries gives up. And, when a battery won't recharge there are no replacement batteries available.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Been that way for about twenty years; where ya been?
    Working full + hours at a mental health facility.
    Sam

5. Default

The upside of getting a new tool is that you might end up with a much better battery, especially going from ni-cad to lithium ion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Salt Lake View Post
    The upside of getting a new tool is that you might end up with a much better battery, especially going from ni-cad to lithium ion.
    +1 on that. Plus the lithium batteries have no memory and produce more voltage per weight/size.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Plus the lithium batteries have no memory...
    What does this mean, exactly. Have been told, for ex., that leaving a 12v battery pack (ni-cad) plugged into the charger all the time reduces its capacity to hold a charge.

All ni-cad batteries have a memory. I don't know if the trickle charge from being left in a charger continuously affects them much. When we use a light or tool powdered by the ni-cad's we recharge them when we get finished or when the power starts to diminish. After a while this top portion of the charge is all the battery sees and holds a lesser charge. Some people state that ni-cad's should be fully discharged before recharging for this reason but I haven't found it to help any, maybe because I don't do it every time. On the lithium batteries it makes no difference and they hold a charge much longer. All cell phones, lap tops and electric cars are lithium charged now I hear and more and more tool makers are doing away with the ni-cad technology. I have tools that use the ni-cads and have had good service from them but the batteries are much larger than the same or greater voltage lithium's.

https://sciencing.com/lithium-batter...s-5939109.html

http://homeshowradio.com/nicad-vs-li...ordless-tools/
    Last edited by Allen; 11-11-2017 at 09:37.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

buy a new sears lithium powered hand held drill. works great and holds a charge forever.
    or....buy a monodnadnock tool which cuts the length, chamfers the ID and OD in ONE pass.
    if you want to know where to buy one for roughly 30 bucks.....email me via private message and send me your standard email address and I will send you a jpg and the contact info.
    HTH
    Bob
    PS. I used to do the same, chuck up my RCBS case trimmer in a vise, and then the B&D battery drill with those ROUND batteries.

Way longer than 20 years, but planned obsolescence is a factor too. The days of manufactured stuff lasting years and years(like my Ma's Frigidaire) are long gone.
    Spelling and grammar count!