Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

"...308 in a '06..." Done by the USN regularly when their M1 Rifle chamber inserts came out. Gives you an odd shaped .308 case, but doesn't damage anything.
    8MM in an M1 is how 'they' got one to blow long ago. Also how they got an '03 to blow as I recall. It's a .323" bullet THROUGH a .308" barrel.
    Spelling and grammar count!

At least one of the "low number" Springfields that blew up was the victim of an attempt to fire an 8X57 cartridge in the .30-06 chamber.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Or how about a .308 in a '06? Or a 3" 12 ga. in a 2 3/4" chamber. I'd bet there are a lot of such happenings that guys won't talk about because it was an unintended/negligent (possibly disastrous) event.

I've done all of the above. The most egregious being the 8MM in a 1903 Springfield... 35 years ago, I was shooting hand loads that were neck sized with brass from a different rifle. The idea being to reload the brass for the "new" rifle. The bolt was a little hard to close on every round but one round in particular required more effort. Turned out it was a factory 8MM round that had been somehow mixed in with a cigar box full of '06 reloads... but the '03 handled it and was not damaged in any obvious way.

Come on guys fess up!!! I'd bet there are some untold laughable happenings along with some horror stories. Stories that (if told) might prevent future serious foul ups.
    I fired a 3" 12 ga in a 2 3/4 " chambered double once. There were no adverse effects, except significantly more recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    I fired 9MMP out of a 40 S&W barrel in my Browning HP. The case mouths had a noticeable flare and the accuracy.....
    Done that to....bullet hit steel plate though....no reloading that brass...

In the days when high power rifle competitors were firing M-1 Garands and M-14 rifles, it was not uncommon to see a clip of 7.62x51 go through a Garand. It was pretty much a non-event, except for the odd looking brass empties. Regards, Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I have read that the 300 Blackout cartridge will often chamber into a 5.56 chamber. Of course a 30 cal bullet isn't going down a 22 cal bore so "boom" goes a lot of AR15's. I have no experience with this though.
    A little JB Weld would fix that. Don't throw it away!!
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment

One of the possibilities cited for the failures of some early Model of 1903 rifles blowing up was that the American soldiers liked to shoot captured 8mm German ammo back at the Germans; it might work once or twice, but at some point things are going to go wrong.

As a side note, there were less than 100 rifle failures in the so called low numbered '03's (Around a million rifles). that's not a lot of rifles for the conditions they were put through.
    I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it.-Mark Twain

I've bought and fired reloads in low numbered '03's(the guy I bought it from told me he put [at least]10 rds of HXP through it).
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

9. Default

Fired a stripper clip of 7.65x54 argentine through one of my 1917 enfields. It was after the third round that I noticed the the cases had no neck from being blown out. Left me a little shaken and feeling stupid. Didn't fire any more high power stuff for the rest of that session.

Default Stuff happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I have read that the 300 Blackout cartridge will often chamber into a 5.56 chamber. Of course a 30 cal bullet isn't going down a 22 cal bore so "boom" goes a lot of AR15's. I have no experience with this though.
    One of my buddies did precisely this with his new 5.56mm AR. Photos look very similar. It happened with the 99th round at his range. Manufacturer took the rifle back and is rebuilding it for him.