Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ever fire a 8MM Mauser round in a 30-06 rifle?

Or how about a .308 in a '06? Or a 3" 12 ga. in a 2 3/4" chamber. I'd bet there are a lot of such happenings that guys won't talk about because it was an unintended/negligent (possibly disastrous) event.

I've done all of the above. The most egregious being the 8MM in a 1903 Springfield... 35 years ago, I was shooting hand loads that were neck sized with brass from a different rifle. The idea being to reload the brass for the "new" rifle. The bolt was a little hard to close on every round but one round in particular required more effort. Turned out it was a factory 8MM round that had been somehow mixed in with a cigar box full of '06 reloads... but the '03 handled it and was not damaged in any obvious way.

Come on guys fess up!!! I'd bet there are some untold laughable happenings along with some horror stories. Stories that (if told) might prevent future serious foul ups.
    Last edited by RED; 11-10-2017 at 01:38.

2. Default

I fired 9MMP out of a 40 S&W barrel in my Browning HP. The case mouths had a noticeable flare and the accuracy.....

Blog Entries

1962 while still in school, my friend and I went dove hunting in the evening, hoping to catch the doves coming back from the milo fields to water and roost for the night.

I had my dad's side by side double barrel side hammer 12 Ga. Using Western Auto purple 12 Ga. I had a fast double right to left crossing in close...drew down and fired.. I knew I had hit it, because I saw the feathers. Looked a long time and found no bird. Broke the barrels and pulled out the left shell and the front 1/4 inch of the hull was sherdded. The "feathers" were the front 1/4" of the shell. I had shot a 2 3/4" shell in a 2 1/2" chamber. I walked it back to the car and traded it for my single shot. Sure glad they didn't have plastic then.

A little off the point but I bought a group of used M1 carbine barrels, all commercial. One barrel was made by Plainfield Machine Co. that had been fired enough to have a lot of black powder residue in it. What was strange was it had never been rifled so it was an undersized smooth bore. The mic measured about .28. Whoever shot this probably noticed it kicked a little more than most carbines.

Closest I came was when I grabbed a box of 8mm bullets for a .308 load session. Took me two squashed cases to figure it out.

I have read that the 300 Blackout cartridge will often chamber into a 5.56 chamber. Of course a 30 cal bullet isn't going down a 22 cal bore so "boom" goes a lot of AR15's. I have no experience with this though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen; 11-10-2017 at 06:36.

leftyo Guest

300bo does serious damage to 223's. as does on occasion 8x57 in an 30-06. some of these combinations just make you look stupid, some are downright dangerous.

I shoot 8mm and I shoot 30-06, but somehow I've never mixed the two up. Now .308. I've sent a 8 rd clip threw a 30-06. It flared the mouth something awful. But it was a case where the information helped. Huge jump to the lands and the group wasn't all that terrible.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Many, many years ago, in my early 20s, I acquired a minty 1917 Enfield, in full military condition, and took it to the range to 'see how it would shoot', never for one second thinking that it was not .30-'06. Turned out that it had been rechambered (but never marked) for some .30 magnum. The empty case was swollen, ruptured just above the rim, and just barely showed the forming of a shoulder right at the mouth. No damage to the rifle, or me, but it was a lesson I never forgot. The other 'exciting' thing that I survived was an H&R .45-70 Officer's Model with auto ejection, due to their piss-poor latch redesign. Only the laundry knows how scared I was.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I chambered and shot a .243 round in a M1A springfield (.308/ 7.62 Nato rifle).
    it went ppppfffft and the bullet literally dropped in front of the barrel not to far away .
    needless to say, I had to scrub the barrel and chamber.
    I was in a prairie dog town when I did this. I had a special stock built for the m1a with an adjustable comb so I could get my eyeball way up high behind that scope. It would ALWAYS shoot loose even with BLUE locktite. I did not want to use red loctite.
    LUCKILY it wasn't the other way around as in the .308 bullet into the .243 rifle!!!!!!!!!!
    After that.... I never had two different bullets on the shooting table!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Former Cav; 11-11-2017 at 10:04.