Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

At the last little gun show there were racks of original GI wood and it wasn't bringing much. I bought an IHC stock just cuz of the price. I think I got a nice GI stock in the closet. If you want an original stick I can dig it out and post pictures of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzKrieg View Post
    I am hoping someone familiar with this subject will pitch in and help me out.

Thanks Sunray but ...your answer falls short and you jumped to conclusions erroneously.

and by the way you had to re work these early stocks, they were fat. The fitting you refer to was minor, the re shaping was significant on rest of stock. No matter what you did...that grip was short and not right.
    I got a rifle from Orion 7 several years ago. It came with a Boyd's fat stock. Although I have fairly large hands,I wanted a stock
    with a slimmer contour. A couple years ago,I got a Dupage stock and during the winter it was my project to fit it. (Never having
    fitted an M1 stock I took my time.) I was extremely satisfied with the result.Not only was the contour much better than fatso,
    the rifle which already shot quite well had improved noticeably. This of course was thanks to the folks on this and other forums
    who shared their knowledge in fitting M1 stocks.I can't comment on the grip except to say it seems fine as far as shooting the
    rifle. Hope this helps.

Think Dean uses the dupage stocks. They also use the hiwood carbine stocks from them.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bnew View Post
    I found an old phone number 814 349-2403
    They have moved to Aaronsburg, PA a few years ago, but still have the above phone number. Have a friend that had them make a Win Model 54 carbine stock. It was supposed to be drop in condition. I had almost 3 hours in inletting to get everything to fit.

When the actual measurements are compared side-by-side, I find myself easily able to live with the difference between a USGI and Dupage stock.
    Stock_Comparison.jpg
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

6. Default

I am currently finishing fitting of a Dupage laminated to one of my M1's.
    I have had to remove about .010" from the leg area, it appears the cutters were not set right.
    I say that because a different part of the cut another operation done correctly blended in perfectly when I removed the excess wood.
    I am having to bed under the rails because there is not enough wood present to lock up properly
    A .005" shim will pass under the entire length of both rail sides,
    that is with the heel in contact and the proper location for the barrel relative to the stock furrel.
    The front underside of the trigger housing will need bedding also.