Thread: Interesting #1MK3* Opinions Wanted...

Hybrid View

Probably not "pressed into service". The Aussies never switched to No. 4 Rifles and only ever used No. 1's. If it's Brit, it was probably issued to an Australian unit during W.W. I. Aussies got 'em in Africa. Should still have the manufacturer and date on the butt socket. It have any 'FTR' stamps on it?
    "...early years of WW2..." 1942 was not the early years of W.W. II. W.W. II started in 1939.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Probably not "pressed into service". The Aussies never switched to No. 4 Rifles and only ever used No. 1's. If it's Brit, it was probably issued to an Australian unit during W.W. I. Aussies got 'em in Africa. Should still have the manufacturer and date on the butt socket. It have any 'FTR' stamps on it?
    "...early years of WW2..." 1942 was not the early years of W.W. II. W.W. II started in 1939.
    By early I'm talking about the period the aussies and everyone else were getting their asses kicked, 1942 was still very much in doubt and Australia was still under the threat of invasion. Every rifle they had and or could get put back in to service was. If it's a WW1 rifle rearsenaled in 1942 pressed back into service, put back into service, rebuilt for the newest xxxx show, all apply. They didn't care if it was a Lithgow only that it was a Lee Enfield. Without pictures we can speculate till the kangaroos come home.