Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Johnson Automatic replacement barrels for the M1917

I just picked up one for a decent price and the muzzle gauges 1+...

I know it's a two groove... and it resembles the Remington A3 design..

https://postimg.org/image/7btnq4s2b/

drawing to the right...

Does anyone know what the Johnson Automatic design was?
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-02-2018 at 07:53.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

It was the Johnson automatic rifle made in Providence Rhode Island early 1940's. Since the Marines could not get the M1 Garand they got the Johnson rifle. They tested them in combat and realty liked them. The Dutch took delivery of some in 7x57 for their forces in Java.

It was the Johnson automatic rifle made in Providence Rhode Island early 1940's. Since the Marines could not get the M1 Garand they got the Johnson rifle. They tested them in combat and realty liked them. The Dutch took delivery of some in 7x57 for their forces in Java. It could be loaded from standard five shot clips or by single rounds. Magazine built in held 10 rounds. Only real problem was the barrel was long and it had no for a bayonet.

no I mean the 2 groove bore ... was it by JA? I'm guessing that they used Remington's design.
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-02-2018 at 05:01.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

No it was an expedient measure to help increase production done at the request of the US military and yes JA did make their own barrels. I am not sure who started production first with the two grove barrels. As there was no continuing contract for JA to make rifles that would mean they switched over to replacement barrels. But it may have been much earlier as the US was sending 1917 rifles to the British commonwealth before we entered WW2. And if that is the case then the need for new barrels would be about the same time so it would seem that JA was making 2 grove rifle barrels first??

High Standard made barrels for Springfeild 03's and SA put their stamp on the HS barrels. So I think it's quite possible JA could be made by Remington.

But I have never seen a two grove HS or Springfield marked barrel. All I have seen are four grove barrels. I do know that Johnson did make their own barrels for the Johnson rifle so I would not be surprised it they made the replacements themselves. And they were making barrels before I think Remington got the contract for the 03's in what, early 1942? The 1917 barrels were for use with Lend Lease rifles being sent to the British empire. The UK, Canada, etc. in 1940 or so as well as Rifles going to the Philippines and China a bit later.

8. Default

Tuna--

You are bit confused on the time line for the M1917 replacement barrel production. The initial shipment of the M1917 to the Brits were taken directly out of US Ordnance stocks and shipped to the UK. It was bit of an emergency as the UK lost quite a bit of rifles at Dunkirk. This shipment was before the Lend-Lease program came into being. The UK received the M1917s covered with cosmoline (which the Home Guard which they complained about) received as replacement for their No.1 MKIII which transferred to the Regular Army folks. But it was an emergency. It would have taken months to unpack, clean and repack the M1917s for shipment. Later shipments were covered under Lend-Lease. The replacement barrels were for all of the M1917s that needed to be rebuilt from the training programs in the US. The Philippines military received their M1917s in 1935 and these rifles were lost when the Japanese invaded the islands in 1941-42.

--fjruple

fjruple...

The replacement barrels were for all of the M1917s that needed to be rebuilt from the training programs in the US
    So any 17's that are RIA, HS, or JA that are in surplus here were exclusively used for U.S. Army Training?

The initial shipment of the M1917 to the Brits
    and
    Later shipments were covered under Lend-Lease.

So the ones in surplus circulation here in the U.S. come from the U.K.... and were they marked by the UK? other than the red paint stripe ?

I would assume that an emergency of the initial shipment would say no.

Would you substantiate your info? You have library I take it?
    Last edited by milboltnut; 03-04-2018 at 04:05.

Quite a few of the 1917 rifles here came from Denmark. They had been sent to Canada as part of the Lend Lease program. I think Canada just put them in storage and after the war sent on to Denmark. They were not shot much if at all and other then the front sight blades needing replacement when imported back here, they were good rifles and shot very well.
    Last edited by Tuna; 03-04-2018 at 07:53.