Default Smith Corona 6 groove

Is there a value premium for a Smith Corona 03-A3 with a 6 groove barrel? At about what serial number did these rifles go to 4 grooves?

I sold one for a friend to a board member. I think condition speaks more than 4 or 6 grove. Condition being same the right collector would pay a little more but not a lot. I'd venture a guess of around $100.00. That's my opinion for what it is worth. As to the change over there is no set serial number I am aware of. Maybe one of the experts can answer that or at least narrow it down.

Rumoured to be only around 5,000 6 grooves made. Barrels made by High Standard that they literally had lying around. SC had made 5,540 '03A3's by the end of 1942, starting mass production in November. The actual S/N was probably not recorded. No S/N on the barrels.
    Spelling and grammar count!

4. Default

What is the first recorded SC 03A3 serial number? I have heard conflicting numbers.

5. Default

My understanding is that Savage produced the six groove barrels used by SC.

Here's a link to an interesting article on the Smith Corona 03A3.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...-corona-03a3s/

From this article it seems that the six groove barrel blanks were made by Savage arms with the finish contouring and machining done by High Standard.

The barrels/blanks were made by High Standard.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

What was Hi-STANDARD doing with 6 groove 30 caliber barrels? Were they making rifle barrels for someone else?

Rick the Librarian is correct. All Smith-Corona barrels were made by High Standard, including the early 6-groove barrels. There is no connection whatsoever with Savage.

Old myths don't die easily.

J.B.

Quote Originally Posted by 98src View Post
    What was Hi-STANDARD doing with 6 groove 30 caliber barrels? Were they making rifle barrels for someone else?
    Answers are as follows:

(1) They were manufacturing the barrels from scratch, marking them "S C/Shell and Flame/Month-Year", and shipping them to Smith-Corona.

(2) I believe High Standard may have also made some barrels for Army Ordnance contractors, but I don't recall at the moment.

J.B.