Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I bought a used food dehydrator. Was using oven till wife caught me. Apparently it was an issue, who knew.

I need help here... why in the world would you need a case dryer?

I tumble my brass and they come out just as dry or dryer than they were before I tumbled them? Why would you want to get your brass wet????

Walnut media with a bit of red polishing rouge added turn out beautiful, clean, shiny, and dry brass. Why do you require stainless steel pins and why do you want to wash your brass with water?

Sorry, I just don't get it.
    Last edited by RED; 11-18-2017 at 11:27.

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post

I tumble my brass and they come out just as dry or dryer than they were before I tumbled them? Why would you want to get your brass wet????

Walnut media with a bit of red polishing rouge added turn out beautiful, clean, shiny, and dry brass. Why do you require stainless steel pins and why do you want to wash your brass with water?

Wet tumbling with SS media tends to get the cases wet therefore the need to dry them.

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post

Have used both and prefer the pins (used with water and a little detergent). The pins clean faster and better. The pins are permanent and don't clog the primer pocket and flash hole like walnut and corn cob media. The only downside is you have to use a rotary tumbler not a vibrator type tumbler for this.
    Last edited by Allen; 11-19-2017 at 10:52.

I've used a dry media tumbler for years using walnut media and a polishing liquid. Getting the walnut media out of cases like .223 was a pain and the red dust was all over the cases plus the cases still looked ratty. With SS pins, the cases look brand new and a dryer of some sort is needed to get rid of the water inside the cases. Yes, it is a bit more expensive but IMHO is worth the cost as I usually clean hundreds of cases per session. I bought Frankfort Arsenal equipment because of their reputation plus they were lower cost. I never have to replace SS pins like I did with a dry media.

leftyo Guest

wet with pins is so superior to any dry method. besides the fact they clean way better and faster, the real winning point is the elimination of the lead dust. found from reloading my lead levels were vary high when i started working in the lead plant of an ammo factory. after a few years of working around raw, and molten lead for 12hrs a day and not reloading, my lead levels had dropped quite a bit. only thing my dry set ups get used for any more is removing lube from sized cases that were previously cleaned.

7. Default

Before drying the brass, rinse them in distilled water and you won't get water spots on your cases.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    Before drying the brass, rinse them in distilled water and you won't get water spots on your cases.
    Using lemonshine and dawn, I haven't had any waterspots in years. I must admit though, I have my own well water so no city water contamination to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    Good idea! So, instead of using tap water I will use distilled water in the rotary tumbler! Thanks!

Water turns to a gas at 212 degrees ( at sea level),Throw them in the oven until they reach the boiling point of water , Take them out and let them cool. Done deal !

DSC00499.jpg

Good Shooting

Lindy
    Last edited by Varmintpopper; 12-22-2017 at 10:19.