Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Brass case dryer

I just started to use wet media cleaning using a Franklin Arsenal wet media rotary tumbler and stainless steel pins. This thing holds 5 pounds of pins and up to 600 .223 brass cases. I also have their media/case separater and magnet. I'm looking at their case dryer which looks good, but wondering if a food dehydrator would do the same job. Opinions?

Cookie sheet and your oven. 15 minutes set on 'warm' or whatever the lowest setting is will work as well as any dehydrator. That'll probably be too small anyway.
    Spelling and grammar count!

leftyo Guest

you can use an oven, the hot sun, or any kind of food dehydrator. i have a big excalibur unti i dont use for food anymore, and it dries very well, and has many trays left if i ever got a bigger tumbler than the frankford arsenal unit i use.

Pick up a cheap table top electric oven @ a thrift store.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Pick up a cheap table top electric oven @ a thrift store.
    Sam
    You mean like a toaster oven? That would be too small.

I use cookie sheet in the oven at 240 for 30 min. Hornady had a really nice looking food dryer on display at Camp Perry this year that was converted for case drying. Almost had one follow me home but I was stubborn. Now I wish I had. They were cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    You mean like a toaster oven? That would be too small.
    Mine is large, can bake a dozen good sized cookies @ a time...I know. Not being used for the purpose now and if the brass is dumped into an old large towel and given a good shake a majority of the water comes out, then put into a 250 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes. Sounds like I am back in the kitchen baking my wife gluten free sugar cookies.
    Sam

Well I bought the Frankfort Arsenal case dryer. Very nice product that holds hundreds of cases and has adjustable heat ranges. The blower sends warm air thru out the unit. Worth the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Well I bought the Frankfort Arsenal case dryer. Very nice product that holds hundreds of cases and has adjustable heat ranges. The blower sends warm air thru out the unit. Worth the money!
    After this thread, I did the same. Frankford case dryer. Looked at some of the others but the 500w Frankford sounded better to me than Hornady's 400w. Haven't used it yet but the wife will be happy to keep me out of the kitchen.

I used mine once so far. Several hundred handgun cases fresh out of the rotary tumbler (also Frankfort Arsenal), set temp control at 165 degrees and they were bone dry in about an hour with no water marks.