Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

My P14 bolts fit the 303 rimmed cartridge and I can use the P14 bolt for belted magnum case heads like the 300 Win Mag. When I use a M1917 bolt for a magnum belted case head I have to open the bolt face and then there is the large Mauser type claw on the 1917. And then there is the smoke hole, the hole came later.

F. Guffey

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Here are pics of the two bolts, the Parkerized bolt has a W and a flaming bomb stamped on the handle and the other bolt has an E and a flaming bomb stamped on the handle. The only physical difference I can see is the bolt face on the W bolt is made from two different assemblies.

3. Default

Merc--

M1917 bolt bodies regardless of the manufacturer were one piece affairs. There was a compatibility problem with the initial manufacture of Winchester M1917 rifles as Winchester jumped the guns and started to manufacture the M1917 rifle before the US Army Ordnance approved a standard for compatibility. This would later cause a problem later to the point that General Pershing stipulated that no Winchester M1917 rifles were to be shipped to the AEF in France. An acceptable level of compatibility for the M1917 was only achieved in January 1918. Does your Winchester M1917 bolt handle have a circle enclosing a star stamped on it?

--fjruple

PS-- There are minor machining variations between manufacturers.
    Last edited by fjruple; 11-07-2017 at 05:31.

No, just a W on the lower side of the handle and a flaming bomb on the upper side.

5. Default

Merc--

Do you have the Winchester rifle the M1917 came off of? Is there a circle around a star on the receiver?

--fjruple

PS-- The bolt face on my Winchester M1917 is not machined like yours.

The original bolt that was installed on my early star circle stamped Winchester SN 65030 when I bought it was made by Eddystone and is on the left in the pic (above) with the one piece shiny face. The Eddystone bolt works perfectly so it's safe to say it was made for the M1917 rifle.

The Winchester bolt originally had the P14 extractor installed on it so it's more than likely for a P14 rifle. The W bolt fits the M1917 receiver and passes headspace field, but won't extract an empty case if loaded directly into the M1917 receiver with either M1917 extractor installed. It's the first bolt I've seen with a two piece face.

7. Default

Merc--
    If there is no serial number on the bolt handle just a flaming bomb the bolt is for a M1917. I am beginning to suspect that your Winchester bolt was modified for another caliber by an unnamed gunsmith. as far as I know Winchester bolt body for either the P14 and M1917 were one piece.

--fjruple

PS-- The star within a circle indicates the Winchester passed the compatibility test for the M1917. Winchester used the same star within circle for those rifles they produced as the Pattern 1914 MKI*. The other two manufacturers used an * on the barrel, reciever, extractor and bolt handle to denote their production of MKI*.
    Last edited by fjruple; 11-09-2017 at 01:31.