There has been a bunch of questions asked of late on what is the best side mount for the M14 rifle.
Caused me to dig out a bunch and play around with them for the first time in quite awhile.
I tend to use forged receivers with integral rails for my builds if I intend to use optic, so it was kind of fun digging through my stash.
Most of my testing has been on LRB and Bula Defense Systems forged standard M14 receivers.
For a permanently attached side mount I think the Sadlak steel in either their standard or Airborne configuration meets the need. Never tried one of their new Titanium mounts.
For and inexpensive rugged mount, the Pro-mag is great and has a very nice low profile.
Of coarse the ARMS #18 works, but not as well as the others seem to.
For easily removed and replaced and still maintaining a reasonable return to zero would be single point mounts, the AWC early mount works fine, but the Bassetts run a step ahead of all the single point mounts I have used.
I would skip any of the aluminum mounts that cast the alignment areas, they just don't appear to take much movement without permanent damage and tend to shoot loose easily.
I must admit that I have not experimented very much with the M1A type cast receivers .
Anyone else have any useful ideas?

Semper Fi
Art