Default M14 side mounts.

There has been a bunch of questions asked of late on what is the best side mount for the M14 rifle.
    Caused me to dig out a bunch and play around with them for the first time in quite awhile.
    I tend to use forged receivers with integral rails for my builds if I intend to use optic, so it was kind of fun digging through my stash.
    Most of my testing has been on LRB and Bula Defense Systems forged standard M14 receivers.
    For a permanently attached side mount I think the Sadlak steel in either their standard or Airborne configuration meets the need. Never tried one of their new Titanium mounts.
    For and inexpensive rugged mount, the Pro-mag is great and has a very nice low profile.
    Of coarse the ARMS #18 works, but not as well as the others seem to.
    For easily removed and replaced and still maintaining a reasonable return to zero would be single point mounts, the AWC early mount works fine, but the Bassetts run a step ahead of all the single point mounts I have used.
    I would skip any of the aluminum mounts that cast the alignment areas, they just don't appear to take much movement without permanent damage and tend to shoot loose easily.
    I must admit that I have not experimented very much with the M1A type cast receivers .
    Anyone else have any useful ideas?

Semper Fi
    Art

leftyo Guest

been pretty pleased with my sadlak, but thats my only one.

danco101 Guest

I like you G&H mount, I brought one of these back from Viet Nam in 1966, same set up with an M84 scope, these did not work well as they came loose in the field. Still had a real classic appearance with the double lever mount!
    Semper Fi
    danco101

Quote Originally Posted by danco101 View Post
    I like you G&H mount, I brought one of these back from Viet Nam in 1966, same set up with an M84 scope, these did not work well as they came loose in the field. Still had a real classic appearance with the double lever mount!
    Semper Fi
    danco101
    Very nice. Only scope we had for our M14s at Chu Lai in 67 were Starlight scopes and we just used them for watching the wire on the perimeter.

Semper Fi
    Art

Semper Fi
    danco101
    If by chance you still have the mount I would be interested in purchasing it.
    Scout

Don't see very many of them, that's for sure.

Semper Fi
    Art

danco101 Guest

Thanks! but you are talking 50 years ago! long gone, I remember trading it for a Shotgun, and that's long gone too!

Thanks! but you are talking 50 years ago! long gone, I remember trading it for a Shotgun, and that's long gone too!
    Thank You Sir, I kinda thought that would probably be the case but you don't know if you don't ask. So I had to ask.
    Last edited by cowtownscout; 10-31-2017 at 08:26.

I have the Sadlak Airborne mount on my only scoped M14. I like it!
    Semper-Fi! Hawk
    USMC 71 - 73
    [url]www.sparrowhawkm14.com[/url]
    [url]www.m14br.com[/url]