Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aintright View Post
    I lived at the top of hill in a country bumpkin town , about a block down a steep grade . Friend of mine came by and wanted to take it for a spin . Hey drank a lot and I told him it would get away from him , went back to working on my car , next thing I hear it crank , down the hill the dam fool goes slamming gears . I don't remember if he got out of second or not before he tried braking . The road teed at the bottom , the other side was a ditch about eight ft or so wide and three , four feet deep lined in rip rap . He didn't get stopped and hit the ditch pretty hard . Needless to say it made a mess out of my bike and Ricky . Bent the frame as you can imagine , pretty severe , busted the crank case and he had I forget , but a lot of stitches , a few clamps , really buggered up arms and elbows and a few fractured ribs . He also got a DUI and lost his CDL . Life was pretty rough for him for some time . I lost a nice bike and a half assed friend . He never learned anything from it and never offered anything toward the bike , so I figured he was one I could do without .
    Kenneth
    Reminds me of another Kawasaki owned by a friend. It was a KX250 all tricked out like my RM. It got nick named the green weenie but I can't remember why. Doug let a couple guys ride it when it was first built. One broke a collarbone the other his wrist. After that he wouldn't let anyone ride it.

The stupid things we did when we were young. I remember a 12 foot wash. Went straight up. We spent all day climbing it and trying to drop the back wheel on the top and ride on. Most of the time we didn't make it and would push the bike off allowing it to fall on top while we fought gravity to the bottom of the wash. No broken bones clutch or brake handles, statistically impossible.

I retired in 1997, then over the next 10 years rode my 2001 FLHTP through every state in the continental US. All good trips and good memories.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Why do I think Roadkingtrax is going to say Ducati Monster or Triump triple 7
    You'd lose that bet. Naked bikes don't much appeal to me. I'm too friendly and cheap to ride a Ducati. LOL

I haven't found anything that really catches my eye the last few years...plus financially my interests have been directed to more "adulting" than I would prefer. I've had the same ST1300 (Pan-American for the Euro types) for several years. Its paid for, and spends a lot more time being unappreciated and holding down the garage floor than when I first fell in love with sport touring.

east of Eden in the land of Nod on the boulevard of broken dreams

The 55' FLH

IMG_0003.jpg
    The blue unrestored lo mile 66' FLH sold last year
    the red 68' FLH is under the cover
    IMG_0011 (5).jpg
    Last edited by ray55classic; 10-28-2017 at 08:03.
    Hang the bitch , because simply fading away shouldn't be an option
    "Les Deplorables"

just recently sold a '77 honda cb750A hondamatic to fund a '72 honda cb750 build
    IMG_11561.jpg
    Last edited by paul v; 10-29-2017 at 03:19.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote" Benjamin Franklin

1944 BSA WM20, Cushman Airborne, Cushman Eagle. Haven't ridden for years

1966 HD FLH. 1998 HD Road King.

I started out on a Honda 150, rode that thing coast-to-coast and must have laid it down 30 times. Next was a BSA A-7, a 500 cc just dripping with rich chrome. Ropde that one cross-copuntry too and all through the years I was in the USCG. Then I got a Matchless 500 CSR - a road bike. The thing would do wheelies! After I got out of the CG I worked as a mechanic in bike shops in Washington State and North Dakota, and bought a Honda 750 K-1. Gold color! That was a hell of a bike. I put at least 80K miles on it - rode it over 1,000 miles in a day a couple times, did 975 between sunrise and sunset once. Last year I had it I rode cross the US 4 times. That bike, I could take off on a 1,000=-mile trip and just bring what was in the tool kit, whereas with the Limeys I would pack every tool I owned for a day trip.

After I wore out the 750 I had a BSA Spitfire for a summer, and then picked up a Triumph Trident. That last one was a guy's dream chopper, he screwed up everything except for the wiring. His wiring was perfect! He sold me the bike when he got out of prison ... I unchopped it, fixed what was wrong and rode it around. Raced a Russ Collins Honmda 750 once, the guy blew his engine trying to beat me.

The bike I have now is a dead Yamaha 650 twin, I've been meaning to make a frame for it and get the engine runing ,,, oh well.

I noticed a couple of you have bikes that you are thinking of selling. PM me!

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 10-29-2017 at 08:07. Reason: more brag

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I started out on a Honda 150, rode that thing coast-to-coast and must have laid it down 30 times. Next was a BSA A-7, a 500 cc just dripping with rich chrome. Ropde that one cross-copuntry too and all through the years I was in the USCG. Then I got a Matchless 500 CSR - a road bike. The thing would do wheelies! After I got out of the CG I worked as a mechanic in bike shops in Washington State and North Dakota, and bought a Honda 750 K-1. Gold color! That was a hell of a bike. I put at least 80K miles on it - rode it over 1,000 miles in a day a couple times, did 975 between sunrise and sunset once. Last year I had it I rode cross the US 4 times. That bike, I could take off on a 1,000=-mile trip and just bring what was in the tool kit, whereas with the Limeys I would pack every tool I owned for a day trip.

After I wore out the 750 I had a BSA Spitfire for a summer, and then picked up a Triumph Trident. That last one was a guy's dream chopper, he screwed up everything except for the wiring. His wiring was perfect! He sold me the bike when he got out of prison ... I unchopped it, fixed what was wrong and rode it around. Raced a Russ Collins Honmda 750 once, the guy blew his engine trying to beat me.

The bike I have now is a dead Yamaha 650 twin, I've been meaning to make a frame for it and get the engine runing ,,, oh well.

I noticed a couple of you have bikes that you are thinking of selling. PM me!

jn
    had a Honda 77 cb750k, that bike would run right out from under you if you didn't hang on. sold that and bought a 1980 cb900c with shaft drive and vetter fairing. had shoei hard bags that rattled like machine gun fire, and the dual range trans. great bike but the gas station attendants knew me by name and the tire dealers sent me a Christmas card every year. I was lucky if I got 3500 miles out of a rear tire. now I have a vtx 1300, great bike butit's getting too heavy for anything but highway riding. time for something lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    You'd lose that bet. Naked bikes don't much appeal to me. I'm too friendly and cheap to ride a Ducati. LOL

I haven't found anything that really catches my eye the last few years...plus financially my interests have been directed to more "adulting" than I would prefer. I've had the same ST1300 (Pan-American for the Euro types) for several years. Its paid for, and spends a lot more time being unappreciated and holding down the garage floor than when I first fell in love with sport touring.
    I really like the ST1300s. The dealership I bought the Moto Guzzi from sells several brands. I looked hard at the ST1300s but the wife wanted a more conventional ride. Never had owned a Guzzi and the California got good reviews. I figured you were going to say you owned a Road King lol