1. Default GAS TRAP 40023 on GB

Did you guys see this one? Seller description is pretty nebulous, leaving you to decide from pictures that don't really reveal all the details. Thoughts?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/711512435
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

leftyo Guest

not big into gas traps, but something doesnt look quite right to my eye. beyond the fact the ad says it will not be disassembled any further. imo anyone trying to sell a legit rifle would pull the trigger guard and pop it out of the stock. i could be entirely wrong, but id err on the side of scepticism.

"...doesn't look quite right to my eye..." Ditto. Too new. Highly likely to be a cobbled together rifle as the gas trap was done way with before the rifle was in full production. Any real gas trap is worth a great deal more than 7 grand too. Especially in that condition.
    Spelling and grammar count!

4. Default

According to my book, serial number 40023 was produced in May 1940. Check out the '9' oprod. This one has had some work!

Quote Originally Posted by leftyo View Post
    not big into gas traps, but something doesnt look quite right to my eye. beyond the fact the ad says it will not be disassembled any further. imo anyone trying to sell a legit rifle would pull the trigger guard and pop it out of the stock. i could be entirely wrong, but id err on the side of scepticism.
    the trigger group was pulled and the action removed from the stock in the pictures i saw...

id like to have a Gas Trap in my modest collection, even if it wasnt 100% original but obviously 7 large is way more than im going to pay...

As luck would have it, CMP recently discovered a "Gas Trap" in one of the cases it just opened. Be interesting to see what it will go for when it's put up for auction.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

It's somebodies restoration and not 100% USGI. Also not 100% correct. Gas traps are a very big investment and homework should be done before jumping deep into any of them , just as any large investment. The knobs, springs, and cartouche are reproductions. The barrel is unknown as is the short pinion for authenticity. The gas cylinder and front sight markings look to be legit when compared to other USGI components. The sling on the rifle is a USMC 1907 sling, which is pretty neat. As always, without good information, clear pictures, and a guarantee then it is always best to err on the side of caution otherwise you'll own it and no one else would be to blame.

When restoring M1's was in high gear most of the gas trap parts were being reproduced. That one appears to have some. I think the gas cylinders were non-firing.