1. Default Model 97 Trench 4 row hand guard help

Looking at a Winchester blued non marked 4 row hand guard and would appreciate opinions on originality and a ballpark value?
    Thanks Rich

M974ROW6.jpgM974ROW.jpgM974ROW2.jpgM974ROW3.jpgM974ROW4.jpg

2. Default

Still need help please
    Thanks

The value all boils down to how bad does someone want one? It appears to be of mostly correct Winchester, later WWII configuration or replacement part to me (no expert by any means). Didn't see any stamping or makers marks? Finish is sketchy looking.

If you need this to complete a trenchgun then it may add more value to the complete gun than you paid for the guard/adapter. Or you may just want the dang thing! I don't see to many on the loose.

4. Default

Rich,

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the variance in the condition of the bluing on the handguard section relative to the bayonet lug section. For the condition of the bayonet lug I would expect the handguard to have less blue. Also, my guns are all in storage along with my references, but are there supposed to be two rows of rivets connecting the handguard to the bayonet lug like this one has or just one. The rivets themselves appear good to me.

Rick

5. Default

I appreciate the help as I was unsure and didn't like the look of the bluing and wear either? the asking price was a $950 which may be a little high for a 4 row ?? My 97 has a original WW1 6 hole hand guard and was looking for a more correct 4 hole as a extra. The thread link for my Model 97 is below that i started a couple years ago if you want to see it and the pictures and comments on the 6 hole guard that came on it. Thanks Rich

http://www.jouster2.com/forums/showt...940#post404940

6. Default

NOT worth $950

7. Default

Rich,

I looked at my references and the rivets appear to be correct. Still not sure about the difference in color. But if the rivets are correct, and they appear to be, then the variation in bluing may have to do with the differences in the metal content of the two different parts.

8. Default

Thanks I appreciate all the help. i will continue my search for another 4 row maybe in better condition and a little cheaper?
    Rich