Blog Entries

Default I've heard so much about the Otis system

I bought one for my 30 cals. I cleaned my 03-A3 from the breach and cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned... and there was always something left. Then I thought, the fouling is ironed on from the breach; what if I come at it from the muzzle? The last bit of fouling away from the breach may not be ironed on as hard and flat. I reversed the cable and ran the brush muzzle to breach 4 times, followed by Otis patchs. First 2 showed dirty, third one was clean..... from both ends. I did my M1 the same way; first from the breach then the muzzle and got the same result. Fastest I've ever cleaned an M1 barrel.

The difference with Otis over the sectioned/one piece rod is the coated cable, and making sure the connection 'fitting' is inside the muzzle and not banging the crown. The coated cable won't wear rhe crown or rifling like a rod.

I don't see any heresy here.

Heresy? Nope! None at all! JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I used my new Otis system for the first time a few weeks ago and was pleased with the results. I pulled a few patches dipped in Hoppes solvent trough the bore of a Model 1917 Winchester and was finished. With a rod, I would have pushed more than a dozen patches through the bore to get similar results. I think the increased resistance encountered by the patch being pulled through the bore makes a big difference. I initially thought that the patch was stuck inside the bore and I had to pull on the cable with considerable force to get it moving again. The first patch emerged completely blackened by the powder and metal residue. After I finished cleaning the M1917, I pulled a patch through my previously cleaned 03-A3 and No. 4 Mk1* just to see what they looked like and it came out with a lot of dirt.

4. Default

Thread: I've heard so much about the Otis system
    Before the Otis System: I heard about the cleaning rod warring the muzzle/tapering the bore and hot, high pressure, metal cutting gas leaving the barrel had nothing to do with it. And then one day made a bore cleaning system. It was after I saw a bore snake pulled through a shotgun barrel, I was impressed with all that fluff and then someone called and ask for help removing a bore snake. Anyhow, I put a cleaning system together that is impossible to lock up, jam up or get stuck, and the bore is protected.

Before that I found a picture that was considered art, I thought the pictured proved the hot high pressure metal cutting gas tapered the muzzle, when finished I was impressed with the ability of the system to remove dirt, grit and grime, stains etc.

Resistance to moving the patch through the bore, resistance is adjustable. And then there is push and or pull, I prefer to push the cleaning rod because the throat helps to start the patch.

F. Guffey