Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No1MkIII Question

Hello all, How unusual is a No1MkIII as opposed to the common No1MkIII*? Butt socket shows 1915 so its obviously early 1915 as the III* came about late in 1915. Thanks!

As I recall, nearly all No. 1 Mk III's were turned into Mk III*'s. So one that escaped that will be scarce. Mind you, the major difference is the elimination of the mag cut off that was put back on after the war. Plus losing the windage adjustment of the rear sight and changing from a round knob to a serrated slab cocking knob. Any of that stuff on your Mk III?
    Spelling and grammar count!

Sunray, the rifle is not mine and the fellow that is looking at it is new to Enfields. Just trying to help him out. I figured a true III would be rare. Thanks!

Another feature that the IIIs is that the chamber was changed to accommodate a HV (high velocity) cartridge during rebuild. You'll see a HV stamped on the barrel near the receiver.

Many have been changed back in private collections. Most of mine have been changed to III *s by military work shops. I have one 1911 LSA that was not. It made it to the Middle East where it was roached. It's ugly, out of headspace and the stock is flat worn out. No H.V.Stamp, cut off and volley sights there. Finding a III that has not been changed is tough so I keep it around. If it's stamped HV but has volley sights and cutoff I always assume re done privately. Also look for mismatched bolts.

This is turning out to be incredibly interesting to me. I sincerely appreciate the information.

If the rifle is a Lithgow, they made the MkIII up until mid-1941 when they removed the cutoff thus making it a MkIII*
    Confused yet?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Then there are the MkIII*'s which had the cutoffs retrofitted in the 1920's. Those have the * lined out thus changing the designation to a MkIII.

A British-made 1915 rifle shouldn't be labeled as a No1 MkIII, but as a ShtLE MkIII. We do need to see a pic of the entire rifle along with the buttsocket markings. A load of crap Khyber Pass fakes hit the market not very long ago.
    Last edited by JB White; 10-27-2017 at 01:12.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Thank You JB, even more interesting. This particular rifle is a BSA but the person asking for information has gone dark. Now I am left to go down the rabbit hole for my own curiosity. Looks like I will be reading my copy of Skennerton later. Life is Good.

Lithgows themselves in the No 1 Mk 3 and No 1 Mk 3* can be confusing. They started with 3s went to 3*s during late WW1. In the 20s added mag cutoff back and crossed out *. Made a few new 3s interwar, ramped up 3 production for WW2 then went back to 3* production around 1941, JB might know the actual time period, as I cant remember. In circa 46, 47, 48 their was a large rearsenal program. All my Lithgow 3s done during this time no longer have a mag cutoff installed. Once again if memory serves all 3s were to be turned into 3*s during this rearsenal. Don't quote me on that as I need to crack my Skinnerton books to confirm that. JB or Sunray might be able to answer that off the top of their head. Lithgows can have blacked brass bands also, something not initially put on English rifles.