Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Check for vise marks. Could be a USMC. Can't say for sure.

There seems to be a heavy grouping of USMC rifles in scattered throughout the 1.02 range, all appear to be associated with the Marines in Santo Domingo in the early 1920s. Most of the rifles in that grouping were surveyed as to lost, stolen, missing or due to bore condition.

Closest I have to your number is 1027354 July 26, 1926 as a survey.

Seems like a reasonable price.

Isn't it something the prices the Springfield's bring these days? I like this rifle I just miss the days when they were four hundred!

Quote Originally Posted by anton67 View Post
    Hi,
    I was offered this 03 Springfield for $550.00.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    It was manufactured by Springfield Armory serial no. 1027376.
    The rifle obviously went through a rebuild and the barrel is marked SA 6-27.
    The muzzle gauges a 4 and is kind of frosty.
    Not a perfect rifle by any means.
    Comes with sling and oiler shown.
    Unfortunately the bore is the most detracting part of the rifle.
    Here is my gauge and the bullet test.
    Lands and grooves not the strongest as you can see.
    The stock appears to be original.
    Comes with sling which appears original and oiler.
    If you seek a shooter, keep looking. You may spend several hundred dollars putting a new barrel in the rifle while simultaneously de-valuing the rifle by several hundred dollars. Not smart! And there's no guarantee whatsoever that a new barrel will shoot a bit better. Many factors besides bore condition have a very substantial effect on accuracy.

If, on the other hand, you seek a collectible and an occasional hunting rifle, go for it. The rifle is well worth the asking price, but only if you leave it as is.

Good Luck!

J.B.

p.s.,

Brownell's sells stainless steel bore brushes. When used with hot water mixed with a few drops of dishwashing liquid, the stainless steel bore brushes are extremely effective at removing rust and corrosion.

p.p.s.,

Does the rifle have a Hatcher Hole in the left side of the receiver ring? Please advise. Thanks!
    Last edited by John Beard; 10-23-2017 at 08:10.

[QUOTE=1903fan;512023]Isn't it something the prices the Springfield's bring these days? I like this rifle I just miss the days when they were four hundred![/QUOTE

Four hundred!? Hell I remember 49.95 (Brit. lend lease returns). They were supposed to return to US Gov. or destroy but instead sold them to importers. Gov. may have refused them.
    You can never go home again.

Quote Originally Posted by anton67 View Post
    Thank you for all of the helpful input.
    I was looking at the fact that the sling and oiler are probably worth $100 so I am really paying $450 for the rifle.
    There is no rust or cold bluing. That just looks that way from the photos.
    I have several oilers, they sell for maybe 20 bucks, IF you find someone to buy it. Slings may be worth a lot but again few people will pay the price.
    You can never go home again.

That's the trouble with buying a relic rifle. You buy it, then you get to shoot it.

The bolt was made by Bonney Forge and finished by SA in 1942 according to Q&A on www.m1903.com.

Are you a serious shooter or casual? I bet that rifle will shoot groups smaller that 2" at 100 yards with cast bullets. I think 550.00 is a fair price, not a bargain but fair
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

8. Default

Did you wind up buying her? Let us know.....

9. Default

Hey Anton. I sent you a PM. Thanks
    Last edited by Kaliman; 11-17-2017 at 05:23.