Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Glad you are enjoying the books! Cannot say about your hammer - it should align. You have the correct lockplate and hammer, so it isn't that. Perhaps there is a little side play at the rear of the block, and/or the hammer may be very slightly bent. Is the hammer seated all the way down on the tumbler? Can you manipulate the parts so as to make it line up? There is no harm in loading the full 70 grains, as the actions are identical, but - in the slightly lighter gun - felt recoil will be considerably worse.

There is a little side play but not much. I thought maybe the hammer may be bent but it looks straight to me and if it were I'd just leave it as is and not mess with it. I believe it is also seated all the way down. I try to take some close up pictures and post them. Also the bayonet for these are 16 1/4" Long being the standard M1855 bayonet but shorter and 11/16 wide?

Yes, the bayonets were re-profiled (made shorter and narrower) from the parent musket bayonet. I personally have never owned one, or even seen one for sale that I recall. They definitely are not under every bush, so you'll need to keep your eyes open.

4. Default

The correct Cadet bayonet is the Model 1867. Besides the shorter, narrower blade, the socket bore is smaller than the M1855. This type fits the Springfield Models 1867, 1869 and Navy 1867 Cadet rolling block rifles. Early versions were recontoured M1855s with a sleeve in the socket. Later ones were made new.

Thank you Edatbeach.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    Thank You Dick Hosmer. You have any idea what the 2 W's stamped in the stock may mean??
    could it be for Wentworth Military Academy in Missouri?

Two w's may = Went Worth??

Possibly somebody could have thought it a good idea at the time to have used a play on letters to mark it like that. It's only speculation.

True. May never know