Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, some people refer to it as the 1866 Cadet - since it IS built on the 2nd Allin action. Only 424 were made, and they led a rough life after leaving the service - few survive.

I did not own one when I wrote my .58/.50 book which was published in 2006. Now, I do, but have not yet photographed it in detail, beyond the one shot (picture #10 in album #1) on my webpage www.picturetrail.com/sa4570af. Difference in butt-stock length is quite evident, and it is also shorter than the M1866 Short Rifle, with which it is sometines confused. Adding to the difficulty in ID'ing cadets of that period is the fact that several of the surplus dealers cut 3-band rifles down (in a couple of different configurations) and called them cadets. Interesting, but not the rare SA original.

The 1867 is the miniaturized one, where the butt and length of pull are reduced, and there are a number of special parts which do not interchange with full-size TDs. Even the band-springs are slightly shorter than normal. The lockplate is still bevelled, but is thinner, and is ONLY dated "1867". All subsequent cadets were much more interchangeable - just 3" shorter between the bands and with a slimmer stock.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 12-11-2017 at 08:03. Reason: speling

2. Default

I have an 1867 cadet. Has the original ESA cartouched stock. Also has the script N behind the trigger guard which I thought should be on all original 66 style muskets. Need to find it!

Sadly, mine is one of the rougher ones, with no stock markings remaining at all. When i got it the cleaning rod was missing, and I figured I'd have to come up with some sort of repro, but one of those lucky circumstances arose out of nowhere. In answering someone's question - possibly here - I heard from a guy who had the wrong rod in an 1873, for which I happenned to have a spare. I could not believe my eyes when he sent me a pic of his. We traded, straight across, and two guns were made right.

4. Default

Mine has certainly seen use. Except for a small chip out of the wood at the front band stock is in reasonable condition and it is the original stock.

Very nice collection!! This is my 1869 Has a small disk with the #4 and what looks like 2 w's on the left of stockIMG_1333.jpgIMG_1334.jpgIMG_1336.jpgIMG_1338.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    Very nice collection!! This is my 1869 Has a small disk with the #4 and what looks like 2 w's on the left of stockIMG_1333.jpgIMG_1334.jpgIMG_1336.jpgIMG_1338.jpg
    That's a very nice M1869.

Thank You Dick Hosmer. You have any idea what the 2 W's stamped in the stock may mean??

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    Thank You Dick Hosmer. You have any idea what the 2 W's stamped in the stock may mean??
    No, I'm sorry that I do not. The only comment I can make is that few arms of ANY kind are marked in that particular location. The inspection marks are on the left wrist flat and behind the trigger guard plate. Usage/ownership stamps are more often found on the comb just in front of the butt-plate, or on the RIGHT side of the stock, usually larger and at right angles to the bore, so as to be read with arm vertical. I'd suspect some non-military post-service group.

Thank you Dick Hosmer.

Dick Hosmer, I bought both your books off amazon over the holidays, received the 58/50 book the other day which is the one I really wanted just to read up on the 1869 cadet. Great books, awesome job!! From your book I found that my cadet is actually a 50/55 not a 50/70. I reload for my 45/70 and have been gathering components to reload 50/70. Thanks to you and your book I will be reloading the proper load for my cadet and not the full charge, may not have been a good thing shooting a full charge in it???? It seems to be all correct but one thing I have noticed is that the hammer is not centered on the firing pin. All my other TD"s are centered. About a 1/16th hangs over the right side. Everything seems to be correct though. Is this normal for a cadet?
    Thanks again for the awesome books!!