View Poll Results: Pay the Extra or Delete Posts?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pay

9 24.32%
  • Delete

28 75.68%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To answer a few questions:

We are paid until 12/9 so I chose 12/5 to either have to the money in hand to pay the upgraded service for the coming year or have the excess posts deleted and the service downgraded.

Since there are thousands of posts, it is not possible to review and delete or preserve individual posts. I can delete by forum and date until the goal of about a 20% reduction is achieved. Further deletion will occur whenever we approach the gigabyte limit. Obviously, the political forum and gun talk would be the first for post deletion as their information becomes less relevent first. I could run a poll on which forums to save as much as possible.

However you want to do this is fine with me. The poll will show us the decision.

Blog Entries

You go girl!

3. Default

you could get ride of the SECOND AMENDMENT AND POLITICS FORUM. most of the threads started on there are rable rousing designed to stir up trouble.

4. Default

Kill all posts and threads older than 30 days. Imagine the public health implications of the old men having to make face to face contacts instead of rummaging through antiquate posts, looking fro something to do (comment on).

If you could keep the political posts for only 30 days, that would clear up quite a bit of space.
    Last edited by RED; 10-22-2017 at 08:18.

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    you could get ride of the SECOND AMENDMENT AND POLITICS FORUM. most of the threads started on there are rable rousing designed to stir up trouble.
    And you would lose a lot of people and most of the contributors.

I am partial to small bore, Krag , Japanese and Mauser sites. However they are very slow with new posts. So why not just have them post in gun talk?, or create a military rifle forum. That would be 3-4 forums gone. Perhaps shut down 'New Posts', after all they are just repeats from other forums, altho convenient. Get rid of old posts, I would not suggest a time frame, I never go back to search, I copy if interesting when I see it, which is seldom. Keep politics in its forum, do not allow in gun talk, or get rid of political forum.
    You can never go home again.

For what it is worth, here is a current snapshot of forum "popularity".

49,769 2A/Politics
    36,349 Gun Talk
    17,371 M1903
    6,517 Krag
    5,599 M1 Garand
    5,585 Sniper
    5,439 M1911
    4,231 Reloading
    3,845 Trapdoor
    3,795 Sale/Wanted
    3,310 M1 Carbine
    3,289 Mauser
    2,615 SMLE
    2,505 Knife
    2,181 Shotgun
    2,087 Smallbore
    2,056 Service
    1,795 Militaria
    1,678 M1917
    1,375 Firing Line
    1,229 Revolvers
    1,151 M16
    1,142 Ammo
    1,066 Japanese
    855 Black Powder
    726 Books
    444 Soviet
    398 Optics
    289 Maj. Culver
    241 Welcome
    166 Stolen
    53 Admin
    5 Event

Some questions:

Is there a practical way to archive deleted material, to get it off the allocated (paid) space? In these days of thumbdrives a Gb is nothing.
    Since "delete" seems to be winning by a large margin, are we going to delete entire forums, or purge older posts?

Looking at the numbers, I am in hopes that we can achieve the 20% reduction by cutting back Politics and Gun Talk. There is very little to be gained by deleting the small forums unless there are massive numbers of pictures in them. I won't make the announcement till the poll closes on 10/26 but we are leaning to cutting posts. I don't know of a way for you to save individual posts except to open them, select and copy the content and paste it into a text file or word document. We might want to put more valuable gun information into the smaller forums so that Gun Talk is primarily chit chat, which will be less painful for future deletions.

10. Default

The real long term value is in the gun posts with info hard to find elsewhere.
    Quite often these posts will be found from a Google search, not searching from this site.

The least long term value is in the chit chat and political areas. Nice to exchange pleasantries, views and outrage with friends, but value after 30, 60, 90 days drops to almost zero in most cases. These are also this highest volume content just by number of posts, and likely to achieve a significant storage reduction if time limited.

If someone wanted to donate to help buy more storage is there a PayPal or similar method we can use?