Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem With Ruger Single Six

The pistol is only a few months old. I clean it thoroughly after every time that I shoot it., including the cartridge openings in the cylinder.

That being said, here is the situation. I only use the cylinder for .22 LR. After about 30 shots have been fired the openings in the cylinder for the cartridges becomes very fouled. So much so that the cartridges cannot be fully seated and the cylinder itself will not even turn. The only ammunition I have ever used is CCI standard.

I have no idea what is causing this. I have never seen this before in any of the revolvers I have owned in the past and many of these have been .22's. I would appreciate some explanation and/or help and advice. TIA

leftyo Guest

i would send it back to ruger for warranty work. rugers quality has taken a huge downward trend in the last8 or 10 yrs.

Are the chambers clean, very clean, and most of all dry of any oil?

I've had seating/extraction problems in a Single Six and extraction issues with a S&W M-18. Both revolvers had fouling rings as I bought both used. I cleaned and lightly polished the chambers and "de-oil" every time before shooting. It's been a good number of years and the problem is solved.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Maybe you might go to the Ruger Forum to find an answer.

Try some hotter ammo, like SuperX or other hi-vel. ammo. Sounds like brass is not expanding and sealing against some blow back? Never had the problem with my S.S. ( now gone) and do not with my Colt. No gun should be fired with a oil wet chamber.
    You can never go home again.

6. Default

Write (or e-mail) to Ruger exactly what you posted here. I would expect them to issue a call tag and make your revolver right.
    Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    The pistol is only a few months old. I clean it thoroughly after every time that I shoot it., including the cartridge openings in the cylinder.

That being said, here is the situation. I only use the cylinder for .22 LR. After about 30 shots have been fired the openings in the cylinder for the cartridges becomes very fouled. So much so that the cartridges cannot be fully seated and the cylinder itself will not even turn. The only ammunition I have ever used is CCI standard.

I have no idea what is causing this. I have never seen this before in any of the revolvers I have owned in the past and many of these have been .22's. I would appreciate some explanation and/or help and advice. TIA

Before I did anything I would clean it thoroughly and try a different ammo. Friend of mine made a deal for a used High Standard Sentinel along with a carton of ammo. Don't remember the brand of the ammo, but it was imported, and had a very soft bullet. After about 100 rounds you could no longer see the rifling in the barrel where it had leaded up. Took forever to clean it, but copper coated .22 ammo cured the problem.

8. Default

Definitely try different ammo. My Single Six is 35 years old & chambers have never fouled using any hi-speed ammo. I use Standard Velocity Remington & CCI ammo only in rifles and semi-autos & have never had a problem.

Also, check to ensure you aren't using the .22 mag cylinder while firing .22 LR.

Wax coated 22 rimfire bullets are the worst!

Sid, if it is any help at all, I have a S&W 34, 17, 617, Taurus 94 and (cough cough) an RG 66. Since I've never had a corrosion, lead or copper problem with 22 ammo I do not clean my revolver bores and chambers anywhere near the extent that you do. I use all brands of ammo and use the copper and waxed bullets. I do not have the problems you are going through. I also use the same ammo in my 22 rifles (bolt and semi) with the same trouble free results. Based upon this it sounds like your Ruger cylinder chambers need to be finish honed or polished to me. The tolerance seems to be too tight or rough where the least little amount of powder residue creates a problem.
    Last edited by Allen; 10-24-2017 at 06:24.