Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default crowning on guns

how come a rifle is crowned and some hand guns are not. my 22 ruger mark 11 is not and neither is a high standard . or a 1911

leftyo Guest

they all have a crown, some are flat, some are rounded, and some are recessed.

If it is flat it has no crown

leftyo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by richard pries View Post
    If it is flat it has no crown
    mmmm no.

Quote Originally Posted by leftyo View Post
    mmmm no.
    My Ruger Mark II has no crown. The face of the muzzle is flat with a chamfer at the bore. When properly done, without damage, it serves it's purpose. A crown serves to protect the muzzle from (some) damage.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by High Plaines Doug r View Post
    My Ruger Mark II has no crown. The face of the muzzle is flat with a chamfer at the bore...
    That chamfer is the crown.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by High Plaines Doug r View Post
    A crown serves to protect the muzzle from (some) damage.
    If you're referring to the radius cut seen on some muzzles, that's not actually part of the crown.

Apparently there seems to be a debate as to the definition of what exactly a "barrel crown" is.
    Fine. Carry on.

Regardless of how it is done, crowning is the cleaning up of the muzzle so that the bore is absolutely concentric at the muzzle. Some are flat with just a slight chamfer, while some are rounded(as on the 1903 Springfield), and some are recessed. Whatever they are the chamfer of the bore is the last step in crowning the barrel.

Several years back I bought a Colt Match Target AR15 which had a SS barrel with recessed crown. My first trip to the range was a big disappointment as it was shooting 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards off the bench. While cleaning it I noticed that it had a slight wire edge about half way around the bore as if they lifted the cutter just as it got to the bore. There was absolutely no chamfer plus the slight wire edge. I had the bore chamfered and it shot like it should have.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I had the bore chamfered and it shot like it should have.
    Not a hard job to do yourself without a lathe, unless the muzzle has been badly mutilated. With the muzzle held upright in a vise, chuck a round-headed brass screw in a drill (hand-operated is easiest to control), apply valve-grinding compound to the screw-head, and chamfer as needed; it's a method illustrated in many old gunsmithing books, and yes, I've done it myself. Size of screw needed varies with size of bore.

PS--Wouldn't work for obvious reasons with a recessed crown.
    Last edited by clintonhater; 10-17-2017 at 06:58.