1. Default Need Suggestions For Temperature/Humidity Monitoring Device For Gun Room

A few months ago I posted questions about storage of guns, web and leather gear in the gun room I built in our new home. I'm good on security - doors, locks etc. I have vents installed high and low to allow air circulation. But I want to be sure that I can monitor the temperature and humidity in the room. Can anyone suggest a specific brand of recording thermometer and humidity gauge, ideally in one package, that you have used successfully? I'm looking for something high quality to protect my investment, so I don't mind paying for something good that really works.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Isn't really necessary to record any of that. If the room is heated and kept at the same temperature, that's all you need to do.
    Wanting to is a different thing. Fortunately, it's not terribly expensive. Appears to be $50 to $100 for a recording device. Lots of 'em on Amazon and the rest of the net. A net search for "recording thermometer and humidity gauge" turns up 46.5 million sites.
    Spelling and grammar count!

3. Default

You spend a bundle for temp & Humidity monitoring, and to what end? Unless you have means to actually control and adjust your gunroom environment, you're just an onlooker to the fluctuations.

4. Default

Where do you live? That has lot to do with preventing the problem. I am within sight of the Continental Divide, but I grew up in D.C., which is a swamp in many ways.

Different things to consider.

Are we talking about one of those 24 hour circular graph things?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Agree with the others. Unless you have large temperature fluctuations in your gun room there is no problem.

7. Default

Block off the vents and install a dehumidifier. Amazing how much water it sucks out of the air; I am on my second one in 20 years. I own more than 100 firearms and it works.

I'm probably fortunate in that I keep my firearms and reloading equipment in my basement here in the Midwest. I have a simple thermometer and humidity gauge there and the temperature remains at 68 degrees and humidity at 30% year round.

'NRA Gun Museum" collection people say about 50% hum. is ideal, too dry and wood will shrink and crack. I keep my basement gun room at about 45% with a humidifier. Trouble is I have purchased, or had, 3-4 gauge's and they all vary by 10-15 percent. My two rooms in upper parts of house are merely vented. Never any problems.
    Temp swings really have to be extreme to cause condensation, and I mean really extreme!
    You can never go home again.