Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M52B Winchester safety

I just picked up a Model 52 B Winchester, and the safety won't engage. You can't push it all the way to the safe position and it springs back to fire.

This gun is set up for target work, and I'm inclined to think the safety was modified to preclude accidentally engaging it. If anyone has experience with the Model 52 B, I'd appreciate some advice.

Have you taken the action out of the stock and checked the safety that way? Sometimes the wood of the stock will swell and stop it from working properly

Haven't done that yet -- waiting for someone who knows more than me to suggest a fix before I start burring screw heads.

You won't burr screw heads if you use the proper screwdrivers. You need hollow ground bits like the ones Brownell's and Midway sell. They make sets that are for firearm screws and fit the slots correctly. If you
    are using the old wedge style driver, STOP! Buy a set frome one of the above.

Hollowground screwdrivers I have, skill, I do not.

Just take it step by step, Vern. Note what you observe, don't force anything, and you'll be fine. And check YouTube first, maybe someone made a video that could be useful.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    This gun is set up for target work...
    Then why do you NEED a safety? If competitors at a match are told to "make their guns safe," it isn't by engaging a (possibly faulty) safety, it's by opening the breech. Years ago while adjusting the trigger on my 52B, the safety spring sprung out into the room, but after making a very cursory search for it (found it later), I put the action back in the stock, because never in the course of firing thousands of rounds through this particular gun at my range had I EVER saw any need to apply the safety; I load the mag, close the bolt, fire 5 rounds, open the bolt, reload, etc.

So what if some maniac suddenly ran out from the trees into our range, forcing me to cease fire? It's as quick to open the bolt, or at least raise the bolt handle, as it is to engage a safety.

Different story of course if you make a habit of carrying the gun around with the bolt closed on a chambered round as one might while hunting; but hunting, presumably, is not what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    Then why do you NEED a safety? Different story of course if you make a habit of carrying the gun around with the bolt closed on a chambered round as one might while hunting; but hunting, presumably, is not what you're talking about.
    But hunting IS what I'm talking about. This is a medium weight target rifle -- about 9 lbs, not too heavy to carry afield.

Good point, CH, at target range. But if his plinking range in the backyard, might be a little different story. If it was my rifle I'd want the safety to function as factory intended.

10. Default

Take the action out of the stock--2 screws plus barrel band. You'll immediately see the circular wire spring attached to a stud on the safety lever; pry it off. The safety will still operate and be held in the "safe" position by friction alone, though it won't be as secure as with the spring pressure.

Or, box it up, ship it to a smith, and months, and probably about $200 later, you'll have it back to factory condition.