Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old People

Quote Originally Posted by louigi View Post
    Allen,

I feel the same way and still say " I wish that old ba#$% would get out of the passing lane !! LOL

I am 67 and have glasses, dentures, and getting hearing aids on friday. Just call me the Bionic Old Man
    Be prepared for a shock when you get those hearing aids!

That's when you'll learn all those silent farts you've been letting -- weren't!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post

LOL , yeah , it's called "the bill"
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    Sam. Notwithstanding that you like the exercise, be careful if you run on concrete or asphalt. I am about to get my third artificial knee, mostly as a result of 25 years of jogging on hard surfaces. On the other hand, it really is both relaxing and addictive and I do miss it. After the second knee went, I took up cycling in a modest way and that was much less hard on the knees although it can literally be a pain in the butt
    I live in the country, gravel in the driveway is the closest I have. Because of neuropathy of my feet I have padded shoes for summer and boots for cold weather. Cold of any sort really bothers them, I am wearing my insulated ones now. With my new inserts and removal of the cataracts I haven't "seen" this good in 50 years! Imagine, just reading/computer glasses. Wolf and I will go walk [she runs] the track at the "Seniors Center" and after Church [huge side yard]. I have a theory on running, I can get into mischief that much quicker. My wife, who works at Wal-Mart, now has a much faster gait then I do.
    Sam

I turned 74 in June. My active lifestyle includes long distance biking which my dr. loves. A new shoulder, hip and fused spine are mere bumps in the arthritis road. Discovered antique collecting when I retired early at age 55 which included military rifles a few years ago. Had a rotator cuff repaired in July which cost me much of the summer to rehab. I'm putting up a good fight and refuse to let old age creep up on me although I'm sure it is.

Oddly enough. My definition of "old people" changes............as I get older. Go figure.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I see them at Wal-Mart as they stroll in with their walkers or canes...young people who stroked out on OD. Had another girl who I started to work with when she was 25, did 9 years then came out for two and now back for 3 more. 40 and looks 60, guy's not looking anymore. I now look in the mirror and ask myself, "Does the moustache need trimmed?"
    Sam

OOPS! Wondered why folks gave me plenty of space at the restaurant! Thanks for the Heads Up

8. Default

On another board I visit somebody said:
    "I thought growing old would take longer than this."

Speaking of hearing aids, my job in the Navy as a Morse code operator in the early 1960s started me down the path of hearing loss. I got my first aid in 2008 and it was OK, but I still struggled to hear under certain circumstances. I put off getting a new technology digital aid until my old aid stopped working for the 5th time last week and had to be sent off again for service. I decided to try a digital aid while I was in the office and it was like night and day. I found that I can hear better than some of my friends and relatives who still think they have good hearing. It's no fun to miss half the conversation at a gathering or constantly ask someone to repeat what they've just said. I wear the best shooting muffs at the range to protect what little hearing I have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Speaking of hearing aids, my job in the Navy as a Morse code operator in the early 1960s started me down the path of hearing loss. I got my first aid in 2008 and it was OK, but I still struggled to hear under certain circumstances. I put off getting a new technology digital aid until my old aid stopped working for the 5th time last week and had to be sent off again for service. I decided to try a digital aid while I was in the office and it was like night and day. I found that I can hear better than some of my friends and relatives who still think they have good hearing. It's no fun to miss half the conversation at a gathering or constantly ask someone to repeat what they've just said. I wear the best shooting muffs at the range to protect what little hearing I have left.
    If you're not registered with the VA, you should be -- you get the best hearing aids free.