Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old People

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    If you're not registered with the VA, you should be -- you get the best hearing aids free.
    Vern,

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully, this will be the last aid I'll need.

The VA will replace them every 5 years. And at the rate technology is moving, it's worth replacing them.

Blog Entries

I checked with the VA, and if they aren't treating you for anything else (?) they don't do hearing aids. I have Medicare and Tricare for life, but the va certified me as a 10 point vet, but they aren't treating me for anything.

What are you guys doing?

leftyo Guest

go file a claim for tinnitus or hearing loss.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    I checked with the VA, and if they aren't treating you for anything else (?) they don't do hearing aids. I have Medicare and Tricare for life, but the va certified me as a 10 point vet, but they aren't treating me for anything.

What are you guys doing?
    If you're enrolled with the VA,. you take an annual exam -- usually at a contract clinic near your home. They will handle the arrangements to get you an eye and ear appointment.

Back in the mid to late 1970s when I was actually young I had a partner up in New York who was a great guy. Working with him on my first big case I learned all I needed to know about major crime work and being a crime fighter. He and his wife were the best friends of me and my wife. Today I learned from him she has cancer and almost surely won't get well. She's 66...It hit me hard, it always hits me hard when my contemporaries are dying especially a great gal like "Risa."

This January I'll have completed my "three score and ten." I'll never be actually "healthy" again but I feel good, which is quite ok too. My wife is in great shape and believe me I'm sooooo grateful for that.

Age is NOT just a number. Get up into your sixties and expect things to start to go wrong. It's true that genetics and lifestyle habits have an influence but its no guarantee.

Every morning I get up and thank God that I (1) woke up, and (2) that everything is more or less working. I also know that if it wasn't for modern medicine I'd probably be taking the "dirt nap" right now. One of the things that should come with a certain maturity is gratitude for what you've still got and an acceptance that it isn't forever; my periodic visits to M.D. Anderson have a way of reinforcing that.

I'm taking our daughter, she's 44, on her first duck hunt this year. I'm actually paying for a guided hunt from a reputable outfitter because I want the best experience possible for her. I'm just glad I can still do it.

Oh, it cracks me up to hear my wife talk about "elderly people ."
    Last edited by Art; 10-15-2017 at 04:14. Reason: Spelling, punctuation

I am 85 and still do 8 miles 3 times per week at the gym on a stationary bike. I still work outside in the yard and still shoot but even with my hearing aids most of what I hear is a wild guess or lip reading. Getting old is not for sissies, and you just have to get up in the morning and do it. Have had many surgeries over the years and probably more to come but you just got to hang in there and make the best of it each and every day.

Getting old beats the heck out of the alternative! (1937)

Old, you want old? I just got off a 10 day cruise, the future was right in front of my eyes.

KTK

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Getting old beats the heck out of the alternative! (1937)
    You betchum, Red Ryder!