Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Obvious fake sold

About 3 weeks ago, an Arisaka was posted on an auction site, listed as a Type 100 prototype. I saw the listing when someone posted it on the Arisaka Collector's FB page. It was a complete fake! I've seen pictures of a real Type 100, and this one wasn't even close to passible. Yet, it sold yesterday for almost $3,000. So sad that someone was taken to the cleaners!
    Last edited by psteinmayer; 10-09-2017 at 04:12.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Terrible. Terrible for the man who is defrauded. Terrible for all who care about honesty and integrity. This sort of thing is the bain of every hobby. To merely quote, "Let the buyer beware," only excuses the fraudulent. It is no different than those who fake college degrees, etc. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Tho I have half dozen jap rifles, I am far from being knowledgeable about them. So---what is a type 100?
    You can never go home again.

"...what is a type 100?..." Japanese SMG. Looks like a STEN and a Bergman had a baby. People buy fake stuff every day. A whole industry has grown up faking stuff. Look how many fake No. 5 Rifles there are.
    http://modernfirearms.net/smg/jap/type-100-e.html
    Spelling and grammar count!

The rifle in question was listed as a Type 100 Prototype Paratrooper rifle. And though it was a takedown rifle, the bolt was completely wrong, with an obvious homemade removable handle. The rifle had obvious faked markings. It had the wrong barrel, with the wrong rear sight, takedowns latch, and acruments. The stock was suspicious... Looked very much like a modified Type 38 stock that didn't seem to fit just right. There was just so much that was obviously wrong!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Hmmmm, two different guns with same number?
    You can never go home again.

For what it's worth... I downloaded a couple true Type-100 pictures from Google Search. The fake was on Gun Broker, and I captured a couple screenshots.

Real Type 100:
    Type 100 Paratrooper 02.jpg
    Type 100 - 02.jpg

The fake:
    Type 100 Fake 001.jpg
    Type 100 Fake 002.jpg
    Type 100 Fake 043.jpg

I remember seeing a nice take down hunting rifle about 35 years ago at a midwest gun show, New wood ,high polish blue, jewelled bolt, - It was one of these ! The guy also had an Original #4 Mk 1 T rifle, -re-blued , even the cope ! Same guy !

9. Default

I have seen this one 2 auction sites In the last several years....I feel bad for the poor schlub.

10. Default

I wonder what the current "expert" on pawn stars would make of it.