Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Almost same link that counters the above info....who knows from different writers of articles. Government shipment records as CplNorton stated above doesn't confuse the issue.

http://www.morolandhistory.com/05.PG...n_longarms.htm

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Yes, the Marines hung onto the Krag for quite a while.
    They also hung on to the 03 before accepting the M-1 Garand, something about Marines doesn't need all that extra ammo. Semi-auto will lead to wasting ammo...........or so the story goes.

In defense of Marines..............

In the late 30's, with no war yet on the horizon, the Corps tested the M1......or I should say, the Old Breed tested the M1 and found it wanting. Why? Simple Depression Era economics. It took time to master the '03. When you qualified Expert, it was an added $5 a month in your paycheck. No bad for a guy who was making $39 a month base pay.

Some in the Corps realized the M1's potential, but also noted it's teething problems. Notably that these were new weapons and had yet to be 'worked in'. Problems with the "7th round" jam and the 'flush nut' rear sight didn't help.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    In defense of Marines..............

In the late 30's, with no war yet on the horizon, the Corps tested the M1......or I should say, the Old Breed tested the M1 and found it wanting. Why? Simple Depression Era economics. It took time to master the '03. When you qualified Expert, it was an added $5 a month in your paycheck. No bad for a guy who was making $39 a month base pay.

Some in the Corps realized the M1's potential, but also noted it's teething problems. Notably that these were new weapons and had yet to be 'worked in'. Problems with the "7th round" jam and the 'flush nut' rear sight didn't help.
    I remember now who told me that story, two of my uncles, one a rifleman on the Guadalcanal and the other a rifleman on Iwo. That first uncle served in WWII and Korea in the Corps and Vietnam as a senior Army NCO.

I'll start by saying I'd defer to C.N., RTL, and J.B prior to this.

In THE ROCK ISLAND RIFLE MODEL 1903 by C.S. Ferries on page 9. Springfield had produced 30,000 RB Rifles by June 30th, 1904. Springfield had equipped the corps of cadets at West Point, Troops at Fort Snelling Minnesota and the 25th Infantry Regiment in Texas with RB 1903s during this time.

The context of this paragraph is more that Rock Island had not started any meaningful rifle production yet.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    I'll start by saying I'd defer to C.N., RTL, and J.B prior to this.

In THE ROCK ISLAND RIFLE MODEL 1903 by C.S. Ferries on page 9. Springfield had produced 30,000 RB Rifles by June 30th, 1904. Springfield had equipped the corps of cadets at West Point, Troops at Fort Snelling Minnesota and the 25th Infantry Regiment in Texas with RB 1903s during this time.

The context of this paragraph is more that Rock Island had not started any meaningful rifle production yet.
    Thanks for that info.....I've come pretty much to the conclusion now that the 7th Cav Regt departed for duty in the PI in 1904 with Krag carbines. Chances for returning with them in 1907 are a bit less but I would think they brought them back and exchanged them for 03's at that time.

Among the first units to receive the Rod-Bayonet version of the rifle was the Cadet Corps of the United States Military Academy (West Point)...

8. Default G.S Patton once had a RB m1903

Quote Originally Posted by stevekaw View Post
    Among the first units to receive the Rod-Bayonet version of the rifle was the Cadet Corps of the United States Military Academy (West Point)...
    The attached image came from a book that contained Patton's letters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 98src; 10-30-2017 at 04:57. Reason: spelling

As stated RIA did not start actual line production of standard 1903 rifles until the beginning of 1907. Here is my RIA rifle which was one of the very first rifles off the line in 1907. Not many of these around still in original condition any more. No stock bolts, no grove hand guard, high wood stock, etc, Ray
    1903 Rock Island3-3.JPG1903 Rock Island3-5.JPG1903 Rock Island3-6 (2).jpg1903 Rock Island3-11.JPG1903 Rock Island early-12.jpg
    Last edited by rayg; 10-31-2017 at 02:16.

xxxxx
    Attached Images Attached Images