Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default M-1903 Springfield Timeline Question?

Even though the 1903 Springfield was adopted in 1903, when actually, after all the changes, did it officially began being issued to troops, who was first, branch, units, theaters? I did find this info:

"As further testing revealed that the M-1906 cartridge was effective with a shorter, all-purpose barrel length of 24 inches (610 mm) in length, the decision was made to issue the Springfield with a 24-inch barrel length to both cavalry and infantry forces, an idea already adopted by both the British and German armies"

If regiments heading overseas, to the PI for example in 1904, would they have embarked with still the Krag carbine?

Thanks

Ed

The general issue of Model 1903 rifles was first ordered in March, 1906. Some rod bayonet rifles were selectively issued to units prior to that time, such as in the Philippines and Alaska.

J.B.

I'd think it would have been possible, since there was no M1903 "carbine", but I honestly do not know.

In reading your quoted source (which was from ??) the wording would tend to make one think that they had REALLY shortened the barrel in going from the .30-'03 to the .30-'06 cartridge, when actually the change was less than a quarter of an inch (set back 2 threads, IIRC).

4. Default

Do you think any Cav unit heading to the PI late 03, early 04 would have embarked with an 03 w/rod bayonet? What about Federal units already in the PI? Would crates have been shipped over?

5. Default

Seems there were issues and the rod bayonet was one of them. Seems those who had a say-so wanted them changed to blade bayonet. But as John said above, he believes those 03s with rod bayonets were still issued out to some troops.
    Last edited by RetArmyNoncom; 10-07-2017 at 07:18.

The first real shipment I can trace with the Marines was 400 star gauged barrel M1903's in 1909.

The first real shipment of regular rifles in number that I can trace is 4000 in 1910.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    The first real shipment I can trace with the Marines was 400 star gauged barrel M1903's in 1909.

The first real shipment of regular rifles in number that I can trace is 4000 in 1910.
    Thanks....that helps in decision making.

Cheers

8. Default

I came across this info:

"Under renewed pressure, the Bureau of Ordinance finally began a serious effort at finding a replacement for the Colt .38. The Bureau's priority had been replacing the .30-.40 Krag with a new high-powered rifle identical to the German Mauser. This would become the 1903 Springfield that American doughboys would carry into World War I (troops in the Philippines did not get the new rifle until 1907.)"

"http://morolandhistory.com/Related%20Articles/Legend%20of%20.45.htm"

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post

Yes, the Marines hung onto the Krag for quite a while.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I agree - the decision to issue a "one size fits all" rifle was made considerably before the changeover to the 30-06. That was one of the purposes of designing the M1903 in the first place.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis