Thread: 260384

Default 260384

Another 1898 has came home, 260384, forestock bubb'ad, wonderful bore, big chip out of handguard. 1900 cartouche.

If someone would look it up on SRS I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Mark
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Mark - There is nothing very close to Krag #260384 in the SRS Tables from the appendix of Mallory's "KRS", 2nd Edition.

thanks for checking for me.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

The highest 98 carbine serial so far is 133919. So it is way out of range. I saw one today, #128261 none has ever showed in the 128 or 129 range so even it is doubtful. However it had a correct stock (1896 w/o saddle ring) refinished , no marking left. Bolt blued which put blue on the whole rifle suspect, but it was not recent. Had a 1901 carbine sight, hump HG, correct front sight. Cost was 900, I almost took a chance but---- There were 5000 made and SRS has only verified 50 as of 4-2006 date.
    Last edited by dave; 10-29-2017 at 04:25.
    You can never go home again.

That MAY have been "good", although the data is so slim you were probably wise not to take a chance, what with the refinish. To me, if one is going to pursue an 1898C, they should hold out for one with a short stock (which CANNOT be faked short of carving a new one) so that it actually looks different on the wall. A rebuilt/reissued arm, in the long stock, might as well be a common 1899. Just my $.02. YMMV.

See my 'correction' above. May not have been 'refinished' in the usual sense but had a coat of varnish like finish on it. Wood was very dark. Correction did not post so will repeat. Mistaken about stock, was a 1899 stock
    Last edited by dave; 10-30-2017 at 09:51.
    You can never go home again.