Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default How to evaluate a Rem 03-A3

I have had an 03-A3 for many years. I haven't had it out of the stock for 31 years; I have had no readon to. It shoots well esp. if I'm on the hi end of 4064 with flat base 150 grainers.

The stock is full pistol grip, has no cartouches, so either it was sanded or it is after market. It isn't a "fat" stock.

I have a sight cover, says US with the flaming bomb on the left and 'R' stamped on the right, don't know if it is marine or other.

Barrel is Rem, 2-43.

The bolt handle has 2 dimples underneath. On the bottom of the bolt, underneath the safety, there is a 1/4 circle that looks like a very light horizontal '8' that is very light ly struck.

I replaced the ramp type rear sight with a Redfield 102, and an adjustable aperture with large, med, and small hole.

Now, how do I evaluate this rifle to see what's what? The 03 is less complicated than the M-1, but I can't see anymore identification without taking the rifle out of the stock.

Can someone please tell me how to evaluate this rifle, and while I'm at it, how do I evaluate my non CMP M1? Thanks in advance.

From your description the stock has been replaced, and with no markings sounds like some previous civilian owner replaced it. Sight protector was probably added by some previous owner, and really not that useful if you intend to shoot your 03-A3. Barrel probably original, and you could check to see if it is proper time frame for serial number. Original bolt would have an R on the bottom of the root of the bolt handle. You have described the rear sight as no longer being original.

Is that along the lines of your thinking?

Pictures would help, too.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Go to this site and check out the various 03-A3 stocks. Go to the bottom of the page and click on the manuals to enlarge.

Www.trfindley.com/pgm1903stkid.html

Compare the stocks shown to the stock on your rifle to possibly determine if it is military or civilian.

The most valuable 03-A3s are those that are still in their original military configuration. The least valuable are those that have been sporterized. Check out the prices asked for 03-A3s on www.gunbrokers.com. They usually have a quantity of both for sale.

Blog Entries

Thank you both. I really am not interested in the value for sale of the gun as it is a very good shooter, and I know it has no collector value after I changed the sights. I just wanted to know how to find out if the 'machinery' itself was a mix-master or all Rem. It appears to be an unmarked type 13 full "C" Rem stock. Don't know about the trigger group but the floor plate is stamped/cast.

The only "C" type stocks used by Remington were on the 03-A4, and would have a cut for the turned down bolt handle. As issued the 03-A3 came with a straight grip stock.

Evidentially, few 03-A3s survived a refurb with all OEM correct parts. You mentioned the barrel is a Remington 2/43. You can look up the serial number to see if the receiver manf. date is also 2/43. Are all the parts Parkerized or are some blued? East Coast Blueing can match the Parkerized finish on the 03-A3s. Remington stamped a small "R" on their parts while Smith Corona parts were left blank. The SC butt plate's checkered pattern is larger than the Remington butt plate pattern. The Findlay sight shows you how to ID stock OEMs. The 13 style was used in competition match shooting. I don't think replacing the original military sight with an civilian sight presents a problem as long as you kept the original sight. NOS replacement 03-A3 parts are available at www.ssporters.com. I've also found them on eBay.
    Last edited by Merc; 10-06-2017 at 05:11.

Don't know about the 03-A3, but the Redfield sight normally requires drilling and tapping the receiver. This would be a minus as a collectible, but a plus for a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Don't know about the 03-A3, but the Redfield sight normally requires drilling and tapping the receiver. This would be a minus as a collectible, but a plus for a shooter.
    Yes, that would be a game changer.

Blog Entries

Thank you all for your help.

My 03-A3 is my intrinsic valued shooter to be handed down. I have no intent to make it collectable, and yes the receiver was drilled for the Redfield sight. The sole intent was to see how much was Rem and if it had any other mfgr'rs parts.

The link Www.trfindley.com/pgm1903stkid.html is just about stocks, at least that is all I can see. Does that site, or is there another site that identifies the 'machinery' like the 30 Cal site does for the M1?

What it has; they all work wonderfully together and I have shot informal matches with it.