Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Trump said today, "We'll be talking about gun laws as time goes on." Wonder what's to be discussed?

Whether it was "bump fired" or an illegal modification does not really matter to me. 59 people dead and over 500 wounded is the core matter. In such a crowded situation as this was there is certainly going to be wounds caused by stampeding. The shooter bought all his guns legally. The ammonia nitrate can be easily obtained. The Tannerite also easy to get. And an AR16 can be easily modified by anyone. At the PD there are confiscated "lightening links" easily made.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Whether it was "bump fired" or an illegal modification does not really matter to me. 59 people dead and over 500 wounded is the core matter. In such a crowded situation as this was there is certainly going to be wounds caused by stampeding. The shooter bought all his guns legally. The ammonia nitrate can be easily obtained. The Tannerite also easy to get. And an AR16 can be easily modified by anyone. At the PD there are confiscated "lightening links" easily made.
    Your point is well taken, but:

The difference is that a bump fire device is legal under Federal law, and the other modification options for semi auto rifles you mentioned are not. If he had such a device (bump fire) he bought that legally too. I have no idea what modification he made (or had made) but if it was the attachment of something like a "bump stock" there is going to be a serious discussion over that one and some of it's going to be in congress.
    Last edited by Art; 10-03-2017 at 08:18.

4. Default

I'm sure that the Stackin Bodies magazine manufacturer will be getting sued.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Pillot View Post
    I'm sure that the Stackin Bodies magazine manufacturer will be getting sued.
    That would be unfortunate, since the item is "legal", but where is the need for such an item on the civilian market?

The "black rifle crowd" has been dancing around the fringe of having waaaay too much firepower like moths around a flame. Sooner or later, something (will Vegas be it?) "bad" enough is going to happen, when even solid gun people are going to say - "hey, this is enough - throw out the bathwater, and we no longer care if the baby (2A) goes with it.

Trump (and I'm all for him) was an anomaly - the hippie-educated 'snowflake' electorate is changing. If the dims get a better candidate, look out. I hope HRC does run again, but I doubt she will.

I'm aware of the argument that a LOT of shooters/hunters are ex-military - and bless their hearts for it - who want to own "something like I carried in the war". Today, that doesn't mean a trapdoor or a Krag, or even an M1 (yes, I hear some of you saying "what's a Krag?") but rather a whole new level of weaponry, which is NOT as easily malleable for civilian use, raising issues never imagined before. Combine that with the precipitous slide into a lack of civility, poor mental health treatment by the VA, a changing electorate, race issues like we thought had pretty much gone away - until 8 years of BHO, and there is a perfect storm on the horizon. Something needs to be done to clean up this mess, and I'm afraid some of what will be done will not be to our liking.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 10-03-2017 at 04:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    It may not matter at this point for the Vegas victims, but I, for one, think the bump stock is a very BAD idea - it is nothing more than a cheat to produce results similar to that which is illegal in most areas. In other words, it is what lawyers call a "sharp practice". It is basically giving the "establishment" (BHO at the time) the middle finger. It serves no "sporting purpose". Yes, I know that a similar effect is possible (with practice) using a limp shoulder and a stiff finger, at the cost of some accuracy - but that does not make it "right".

leftyo Guest

firearms in the constitution are not about "sporting purposes".

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Thanks
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by leftyo View Post
    firearms in the constitution are not about "sporting purposes".
    The word "firearms" does not appear in the Second Amendment, nor in the main body of the Constitution. The operative word is simply "arms" which, I suppose, can be interpreted as anything from a pitchfork to a rocket launcher. The intent was to assure that citizens were not to be deprived of a means of defense against a government run amok.

I take "sporting purposes" to differentiate the civilians from the military - there are basic differences in the level of weaponry involved. Citizens do not need virtually unlimited firepower. I am NOT advocating the abolition of private ownership, simply trying to grasp on a reasonable definition of what is proper and what is over the line. I say we start with obvious cheats such as the bump-stock. My first thought when I saw an ad for one was WTF, this isn't right.

deleted duplicate post
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 10-03-2017 at 08:48.