Thumbs up

Nice Collection.
    Thanks for posting pictures.
    Another HRA that was sold by Scott Duff on GB that might interest you

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/712473401
    U.S. Army Vietnam Vet '68-69'

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Curious how you tell HRA-made high hump lock from SA. I have my method, wonder what yours is. Also, SA parts did find their way onto rifles during assembly in Worcester. And not just at the beginning, as some believe.
    Hi togor, I worked a mil spec plating line for many years and...just have a eye for each finish. I think that perhaps the finish on the HRA gas cylinder and lock obtain color during the oil dip stage...thus oily and black. To explain further, some finished parts will come out of the tank looking just like they did going in, they are then rinsed and placed in a preservative oil, the oil gives the actual color to the finish. HRA, SA and Winchester all seem to have had their own way of finishing parts, I can't speak about IHC as I've never owned an IHC.

Quote Originally Posted by Duster42 View Post
    Nice Collection.
    Thanks for posting pictures.
    Another HRA that was sold by Scott Duff on GB that might interest you

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/712473401
    Meh. A semi early HRA. The usual reserve not met.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by jsaviano View Post
    A lot of HRA rifles had some SA parts at the end of HRA's production contract.
    I'm getting 5.77 this week. It has a U.W. 058 bolt and 8-53 SA barrel.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Hi togor, I worked a mil spec plating line for many years and...just have a eye for each finish. I think that perhaps the finish on the HRA gas cylinder and lock obtain color during the oil dip stage...thus oily and black. To explain further, some finished parts will come out of the tank looking just like they did going in, they are then rinsed and placed in a preservative oil, the oil gives the actual color to the finish. HRA, SA and Winchester all seem to have had their own way of finishing parts, I can't speak about IHC as I've never owned an IHC.
    Have a look at the machine marks on the front face of the hump some time, HRA versus SA. And of course a HRA upset the stacking swivel screw differently than did SA. The CMP sent out plenty of Correct Grade HRAs that had a SA-style front hand guard and gas cylinder lock with a HRA gas cylinder in between. It makes you wonder if collectors a generation from now will try to make heads-or-tails of some of this stuff or just invent their own logic for what is valuable and what isn't in their markets.