Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Look into the 38 special, 158 gr LSWC HP in a +P loading. Also known as the old Metro Load or Chicago Load. At close range it's close enough to the 357 in performance yet it doesn't have the sharp, cracking report of a jacketed .357.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

If you carry the 158 gr. LSWCHP in a snub nose revolver I recommend the Remington variety. It is very soft lead and has a bigger hollow cavity than the other brands. Expansion can be iffy with this load out of snubbies so with the LSWCHP give yourself the best shot (sincker.) I carry the 158 gr. LSWCHP in my 4" barrel .38s in which it remains, after almost half a century, one of the best options available but today there are hollow points that are made specifically for short barrel revolvers. The Remington 125 gr. Short Barrel and the Speer 135 gr. Short Barrel hollow points both will work very well indeed in in "snubbies."

Here's a little video on the subject shooting 125 gr .38 + P hollow points against the very hot Remington 125 gr. SJHP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27wDLjY5JSs
    Last edited by Art; 07-09-2018 at 08:45. Reason: Delete redundant stuff

Interesting vid Art. Thanks for putting that up. I reckon I was/am a wee bit behind the times when it comes to the 125's. Good things to know for future reference. Including your remark about the 158's. Remington...and I'm stocked with Winchester.

There are a few things I still feel comfortable with. Heavy that hits like a freight train rather than high speed that penetrates like an ice pick. (I think those type of comments came about 40 or 50 years ago?)
    Use a load which doesn't rupture ear drums in confined spaces which includes standing near walls. (gangways, alleys, along side parking garage walls etc.)
    I also liked Massad Ayoobs advice. In the event of a demonizing prosecutor, use what the police use. That means factory loaded. That "police" advice is what steered me back to the Chicago Loads after I had been talked into using those "vicious and evil looking" Golden Sabres.

Best advice I ever got was to use what's comfortable, second nature, with enough to get the job done. That requires slight tradeoffs at times but the parameters should always be in place.

4. Default

Let me add something. Friend who tunes my Smiths is a very accomplished competition shooter. He has replaced the detestable lock on my 629 Yogi disuader with a plug so it cannot lock up at the worst possible moment. And for those of us who live the states not yet under communist domination, note Smith makes several J-frames without the lock for just that reason. Either buy one so equipped or get it done. His 617 seized up on him.

and I'm stocked with Winchester
    JB,

If that is the same load I'm thinking it is, it is an excellent load. I heard it called the "Treasury Load". Developed by Winchester specifically for short barrel revolvers for use by Federal agents. Testing at time by NRA in ballistic gelatin revealed they would consistantly expand to over .60". Dead soft lead. After 2 cylinders shot during practice and it is time to get out the Lewis Lead Remover! It is no longer produced. I have one full box and a partial one left. Six rounds are sitting in my model 19 right now.

FWIW,

Emri

Emri, I don't think I have ever fired more than a couple or three cylinders in practice. Always shot up a box or two of homegrown 158 gr LRN or LSWC before running a few Winchesters down the tube. Burning up the ones that sat in the gun for a while then a few to make sure the rest were surviving well in storage. I wasn't aware they were no longer produced. Makes me wonder how long I've had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    After 2 cylinders shot during practice and it is time to get out the Lewis Lead Remover! It is no longer produced.
    Brownell's still has the Lewis Lead Remover in stock.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod21587.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by gwp View Post
    Brownell's still has the Lewis Lead Remover in stock.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod21587.aspx
    Yes, they are. The "no longer produced" was in reference to the ammo. I just wasn't very clear. Thanks for the link though in case anyone else got confused.

Emri

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Emri, I don't think I have ever fired more than a couple or three cylinders in practice. Always shot up a box or two of homegrown 158 gr LRN or LSWC before running a few Winchesters down the tube. Burning up the ones that sat in the gun for a while then a few to make sure the rest were surviving well in storage. I wasn't aware they were no longer produced. Makes me wonder how long I've had them.
    You have had them quite a while! My partial box is from early 1980's. I did like you and would fire a few to make sure they were surviving OK. Got down to about 18 rounds and thought I would get some more. NOT!! Ten years ago during the big ammo shortage I was at a friends shop and he was going through all the bits and pieces of ammo from trade in guns and I saw a full box of them. I picked them up and said I wanted them without knowing what his price would be. I got them quite reasonably though.

FWIW,

Emri

The 80's.....I'm having one of those 'dang I'm getting old' moments