Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

An excellent find. Jeff Cooper noted all the Magna need a long runway to get up to speed, Skeeter Skelton was initially enamored of the 2.5" M-19, later changed his mind, he cited muzzle blast and flash, found the 4" M-19 no harder to conceal. If I want to fire a short barreled .357 one of my Dan Wessons does nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    An excellent find. Jeff Cooper noted all the Magna need a long runway to get up to speed, Skeeter Skelton was initially enamored of the 2.5" M-19, later changed his mind, he cited muzzle blast and flash, found the 4" M-19 no harder to conceal. If I want to fire a short barreled .357 one of my Dan Wessons does nicely.
    All true, but a .357 Magnum from a "snubby" " is a heck of a lot hotter than any .38 Special from any barrel length. My principle carry gun is a S&W 640 in which I carry 110 gr Remington .357 Magnum semi jacketed hollow points. This load is a proven fight stopper. I have personally chronographed these at 1250 fps from the 2 1/8" barrel on this little revolver. Not only is this low lend Magnum load from my snubby superior to any .38 special load it is equal or superior to 9mm +P from a full size pistol with a 4" or 5" barrel. Now recoil and muzzle blast in this revolver are very sharp but I've send so many magnums down range it doesn't matter much to me.

The great thing about a Model 19, or any .357 Magnum is the ability to customize your loads from the mildest wad cutters to the hottest belchfire magnums, so you can tailor your carry load to your particular needs.
    Last edited by Art; 10-04-2017 at 04:42.

I like my 2.5 inch Model 19 RB easy to carry not hard to control.
    Last edited by noslack327; 10-05-2017 at 07:26.

Quote Originally Posted by jim-d View Post
    Picked up my new friend....
    THAT is a fine looking snubnose! Load it up with any decent .38 Special load and it will most assuredly get the job done! Price? In my area, if you can find a nice snubnose revolver like that for that price, try not to break your arm getting your wallet out of your pocket! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I've had a few snubs over the years. They are great for carry however, I never was very accurate with any of them. Had the Smith Model 642 which was an airweight and great for carry, but not fun to shoot because of recoil. I really liked the stainless Smith Model 640 with the concealed hammer but again, the recoil was painful especially when shooting magnums. My latest snubby, if it can be called that, is a Ruger SP 101 w/3" bbl. The SP 101 is also a 5-shot revolver and it's size can best be described as in between a Smith J and K frame. Heretofore I have never been a fan of Ruger revolvers however, I think that they have hit a "home run" with their SP 101 line. It is a good size for concealed carry and with it's added weight and bull barrel can comfortably handle +P .38 rounds and most magnums; it also is quite accurate especially with the 3" tube. YMMV.

Carried a Model 66 while working plain clothes, years ago. Not bad on the range with target loads. Full-on .357 load, forget it - muzzle blast and recoil. On one occasion, had to fire a 'night course'. After the 1st round, couldn't see a thing.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

7. Default

Always thought Charlie Askins defined the role of the snub best-a belly gun. "You press it against your enemy's belly and..."

A 2.5" barreled .357 mag? I suppose that if you miss an opponent, the muzzle blast and flash would stun a bad guy long enough that you could trot over and bust him in the forehead with it.

I have 357's but only fire 38 specials through them for practice due to the loud sharp blast that is death defying to the ears. For personal protection though the 357 would be preferred of course. I have a S&W 29 and 629 both 6", easier on the ears but a bitch to conceal in a shoulder holster. Clint Eastwood makes it look so easy.

I just picked up a S&W blued 19-7 with a 2.5 inch barrel. I like the heft of the steel frame but haven't shot it yet. I was advised that a hot 38 special round may be the way to go with this short barrel.