Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Opinions on .357 mag snubbys

I am not into handguns, only have a few old military collectors. I have decided to buy a 2" snub in 357 mag. It will mostly live in my nightstand, but I do have a license to carry, so it will be taken out for a walk on occasion.
    I have come down to 2 choices. One is a pristine blued Dan Wesson Model 15-2 with wood grips from the late 70's. The other is a new S&W Model 686-6 stainless with rubber grips. The collector in me goes for the DW, since I do not expect to shoot very much if at all, but I need advice.
    Thanks
    Last edited by jim-d; 11-02-2017 at 05:00.

I purchased a new Dan Wesson revolver in the early 80s. It had a light trigger from the factory and the more I shot it the lighter the trigger became. The trigger wore so much that pressure on a cocked hammer would cause the hammer to fall. MIM parts were used and I believe the composition or heat treat of the parts was off. I am a big fan of S&W revolvers and for heavy use the 686 is hard to beat. For your purpose I would look for a Model 19 or 66. They are a little smaller than the 686.

Dan Wesson revolvers had a reputation for being extremely well made and accurate. For a snub, I'd probably opt for the S&W 686. The little bit of extra weight out front will be appreciated the first time you touch off a dose of .357 S&W Magnum happiness. Little pocket rocket like that ... it's going to jump up a little bit. You'll appreciate the slightly heavier frame. And there are simply more options available for the S&W 686 L-frame in terms of stocks, holsters, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

4. Default

Dan Wessons are hard to come by because those of us who have them, keep them.

If, as you say, you are not into handguns I would reconsider making a .357 snubby my first handgun, especially a carry gun. The recoil is on the violent side with a short barrel, and too heavy to carry comfortably. While you can shoot something as mild as a .38 wadcutter in them, no need to pack all the extra weight around for a carry gun. There are lots of small .38 Special revolvers on the market, as well as excellent defensive ammo for them.

I know there are those that can conceal carry a five pound handgun so comfortably that they forget they have it, but it just never happened for me. Shop around before you decide.

I think I have been swayed. There was a 2" S&W Model 10-5, 38spcl, in perfect condition. I discounted it as I was looking for a 357. Now that I have some input, and have also given it more thought....I am on my way to get the 10-5 @ $475. It seemed like too much money, but condition being what it is, and the collector in me (It is C&R eligible), make it the choice.
    Thank you all for the great input

$475 for a early 60s 2" Model 10 isn't too bad considering the premium for the 2" barrel and perfect condition. The last batch of police turn in 4" Model 10s were selling for over $300 and they had some wear to the finish.

8. Default

I have a Taurus model 85 5 shot .38 Special. Has a 3 inch barrel. I really like the proportions with the 3 inch barrel.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

Quote Originally Posted by jim-d View Post
    Picked up my new friend....
    The first revolver I was issued when I went to work for the 'gubmint was one of these, very nice guns.

In the old days the most effective ammo for these guns was a lead semi wad cutter but there are new .38 special ammo choices that expand very reliably out of these short barrels and will make your new buddy more effective if the balloon goes up. Two of the best are the Speer 135 gr. GDHP +P Short Barrel and the Remington 125 Short Barrel. These loads are snappy but won't hurt your revolver with occasional use and are about as good defensive ammo as you can get in this caliber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khazbS9pWjE
    Last edited by Art; 10-03-2017 at 10:03.

Thanks to all for the great input, really helped.