Default 1911's run better *wet*

Greetings:

Came across a mention on a forotten web stie a few weeks back. It stated that a 1911 series functions better *wet*.
    Ie.: Drop some lube oil on the harrel hood with the slide forward and the pisol pointed down to let the oil get into the locking grooves. Lock the slide back and lube up the barrel so there's oil betwoeen the barrel and the bushing. Also drop some lub oil down the slide grooves on each side of the slide with the pistol upside down, and the slide locked back, and some oil on the slide/disconnector hump.

Tried this, and it seems my RIA GI functions better.

Any comments?

R Brown

It's a highly debated topic along with a few others. It goes along with what "brand" is the best oil. Personally I run mine some where in the middle with slip 2000 currently and CLP up to the recent past. I usually shoot cheap range ammo and when running wet I have gotten a lot of carbon fouling throughout. Since my shooter is still a very tight gunsmith build a lot of carbon fouling can start giving me issues. I personally think a lube with a higher burn off tempuature helps with the fouling issue. Obviously shooting high end low flash powder ammo will to. I suppose reloading with a quality powder could address this also, I just run out of time. Just my opinion based off my experience.

When I was on the division pistol team we fired the pistols wet as you described and with a drop of oil on the feed ramp. Occasionally oil would splash back and spot your face and glasses. Now I use a very light coat of synthetic oil or grease applied to the wear points.

4. Default

The 1911 offers up two opportunities for excellent service. My carry gun will shoot a pie plate group at 25yards. It is well oiled on the barrel, slide, grip safety etc.. It is reliable and will feed anything from any mag, even empty cases.

My target gun shoots under an inch and a half at 25 yards and is lightly oiled on the barrel/bushing and feeds wad cutters.

Two guns, two purposes and two lube strategies.

I remember an old Gunner in the Marine Corps stating “1911’s love oil.” Those guns were loose and 100% reliable.
    /Ken Hill

"Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it!" Ayn Rand

"...oil down the slide grooves..." Grease on mating metal parts. Not oil. Oil will get blasted off.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Reapply oil as needed. These 1911's not forward deployed anymore.