Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Wow, that certainly is a head scratcher. I agree, evidence supports that it's probably a pieced together rifle. I found Fred's original thread. That #6 is NIIICE!

One question: The #6 rear sight has two peep holes, my friend's gun has one. Is that another variation of musket sight or possibly something Bannerman made?

I've asked my friend to take some more detailed pictures and check the trapdoor date and look for any other markings, but barring any interesting findings I'm pretty convinced it's a put together.

Sadly enough, he had it appraised at a VERY well known gun shop a few years ago (2011). They called it a 2nd Allen and put a $600 appraisal on it. If I could pick it up at a reasonable price I'd add it to my collection all the same, but I wouldn't want him to think I was lowballing. We'll see.

Thanks for all the help. Here's a few more pictures that he found from the appraisal.
    -Drew

Springfield Cartridge_85.jpgSpringfield Cartridge_88.jpgSpringfield Cartridge_90.jpg
    Last edited by Brownac1983; 09-25-2017 at 01:46.

Drew, the sight appears to have an aperture for 300 yards and then at the top, a notch for 700 yards.
    The aperture positioned for 500 yards doesn't appear there at all. I'm assuming that there IS a notch for 100 yards in the down position. The rear sight base is oriented in the correct way for a Rifled Musket or an 1866 trapdoor, but the sight leaf seems to be relieved in the hole and top notch on the reverse side, as if the sight leaf was reversed. I've seen this before I think on an 1866 rifle with the sight leaf's apertures reversed from what they ought to have been for a shooter, but the missing 500 yard sight aperture between the 300 and 700 yard notches is a mystery to me.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-25-2017 at 02:52.

3. Default

I believe you're right Fred. There's something marked below the peep, it almost looks like a 2, but I can't tell. The original pictures are huge, here's a couple snippets of it zoomed in. I can't imagine why they'd be relieved on the back side.
    rear.JPGrear 2.JPG

Well it's a very nice rifle. It'd be imteresting to study it.
    Dick is right about it possibly being assembled by a surplus arms merchant.
    Ain't it interesting though!!!
    Last edited by Fred; 09-25-2017 at 06:00.

5. Default

The one at this link (I hope that's OK to post since it's a long closed auction) also has the reverse-relieved apertures, although it has both of them. https://www.gunauction.com/buy/11150246
    Last edited by Brownac1983; 09-25-2017 at 03:20.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Well it's a very nice rifle. It'd be imteresting to study it.
    Dick is probably right about it possibly being assembled by a surplus arms merchant.
    Ain't it interesting though!!!
    Sure enough. I believe I'll pass on it unless I can get it for a good price, but I don't think he'll come too far off of his appraisal (a shame they misidentified it).

I'm convinced I'll be buying something from his collection, and he has nice 1860 Army and a REALLY nice cased 1849 pocket that my wife might shoot me with if I buy.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know if I find anything else interesting on it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to have a look at it in person.

-Drew
    Last edited by Brownac1983; 09-25-2017 at 03:21.

7. Default

Another odd thing I just noticed... Like Fred's #6, this one doesn't appear to have the standard stock cutout for the thumb latch (looking at the pictures, I'm not sure if it has one at all). Weird.

This may have been covered already, but are there any marks on the top of the door?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 70ish View Post
    This may have been covered already, but are there any marks on the top of the door?
    He's going to get it out and check tonight. I made him a sketch of where to look and asked him to check for any other markings on the rifle.

Default reversed leaf sight...

I also believe my 1866 has the leaf reversed. I don't have a picture on my PC that shows the leaf up but there is no relief on the side showing while it is down. How common was this? I'll have to check it out when I get home from travels.
    Attached Images Attached Images