Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Questions about a 2nd Allin conversion

Hey guys. A friend of mine has this rifle that he might be willing to part with, but I've never owned an Allin conversion before and wanted to get some opinions on it. It's in pretty solid condition with a good patina, except where someone has heavily cleaned the outside of barrel past the front band. The lock is dated 1864, and there are no visible serial numbers. He doesn't have a picture of the breech block markings but he said he'd dig it out of the safe and check those. What strikes me as odd about it is the location of the rear sight. It's set several inches forward of the receiver. Weren't all of these made with the rear sight immediately in front of the receiver? Thanks in advance for any help.
    -DrewSpringfield Cartridge_84.jpgSpringfield Cartridge_86.jpgSpringfield Cartridge_87.jpgSpringfield Cartridge_89.jpgSpringfield Cartridge_91.jpg

Actually, I think it is a Model 1868 Springfield . . . NOT a second model.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Actually, I think it is a Model 1868 Springfield . . . NOT a second model.
    Thanks JimF. It looks like you're right. It does more closely match a 1868. In that case, from what I'm reading, there should be a serial number along the left side of the receiver and barrel, which I'm not seeing in the photos, and all the photos I can find of the 1868s still have the rear sight directly in front of the receiver. Any thoughts on what's going on there? The oddest thing about it is that there's no empty mounting hole where the rear sight should have been.

That is an interesting rifle. Except for the placement of the rear sight and the lack of a serial number on the left side, it appears to my eye to be a normal production 1868 rifle. However I'm wondering if the rear sight might've been put there on that rifle as an experiment. That's about the location of the sights on the later model 1873's.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-25-2017 at 09:44.

From those pictures it appears, save for the points noted, to be a perfectly standard M1868. I also note that the cleaning sits a bit too deep, and there are no stock cartouches visible on wood that should be crisp enough to at least have traces of same. I can think of only two scenarios, the first and by far the most likely being a "Bannerman" assembly made from parts for resale in the 1890s, and the second - VERY unlikely - is that it is some sort of "prototype" made prior to the standardization of the model. Fred G. has #6 (and has posted many pics of it here) and it, aside from a strange hole in the breechblock, looks like any other proper 1868, as do other early examples I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Fred G. has #6 (and has posted many pics of it here) and it, aside from a strange hole in the breechblock, looks like any other proper 1868
    Oh heck, I thought you'd remembered that part Dick. The strange hole in the breech block is for the firing pin retaining screw that, unlike the later 1868's and 1873's, entered the side of the firing pin channel instead of from underneath. The screw actually passes through the notch in the firing pin from side to side instead of straight into it.

Last edited by Fred; 09-25-2017 at 10:26.

Shame on me - I recalled the hole, but do not remember you 'splaining it!!! Oh well.

To the original poster - note rear sight on #6 is from a musket but located (as was the long-range sight which would follow) right ahead of the receiver. I am not aware of any genuine Springfields - outside of possibly something in the SA museum with that sight far out on the barrel.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 09-25-2017 at 11:41.