Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bomber Boys

Default Bomber Boys

B29 and B17

Once coming back from Warner Robins into Macon Ga. I was passing by the Louis B Wilson Airport which was on my left. I glanced and saw a Lancaster. Shocked to see it. But there it was big as all get out. Have never seen another one. From what I've heard, fine plane. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

The Confederate Airforce used to bring a B17 and a B24 to the Allegheny County muni airport. For a few hundred dollars, they'll take passengers for a ride over Pittsburgh and for a couple bucks, they'll let you climb around inside both aircraft. What a neat experience. I was inside both and was amazed how small they were compared to what's flying today. A B17 was just here a few weeks ago for a visit but I'm not sure who it belongs to. I live close to the airport and they usually fly over my house at about 1500-2000 feet on their way to the city. The sound those four rotary engines make at full throttle is unmistakable. They fly slow enough to allow me to run outside to see them.

A B17 ran off the end of a runway at the Beaver County airport (near Pittsburgh) many years ago and was badly damaged. It took a couple of years for the aircraft/airframe mechanics from US Airways working as volunteers in their spare time plus dozens of WW2 vets and volunteers to make and install the parts needed to fix the old plane up better than new. A true labor of love. I'll bet there wasn't a dry eye on the ground when she was finally allowed to leave for home.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    B29 and B17
    I get shivers just looking at the ball turret on a B17, brave men.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=b17+b...w=1067&bih=513

KTK

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    I get shivers just looking at the ball turret on a B17, brave men.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=b17+b...w=1067&bih=513

KTK
    Plus one, on the ball turret - makes my skin crawl - "brave" is an understatement.

As an aside to the the "small" comment re the B-17, etc., I had occasion, sometime in the 80's, to inspect a B-25 at the Oakland CA airport where we were working at the time. It was parked with the bomb bay doors opened, so I walked over, ducked, and stood up inside. I was stunned, remembering that we routinely put 6 valuable men and several thousand dollars worth of a/c in harm's way to deliver the contents of this? It was like a small clothes closet - not sure what I was expecting, but amazed at what I found. Truly, the "greatest generation" - and we are pissing it all away.

"... never seen another one..." Come take a tour of the Canadian Warplane Heritage hangers at Hamilton, Ont. airport. $3500Cdn to take an hour's flight in a Lanc. A Lanc's bomb load made a B-17's look like a picnic basket. 14 x 1,000 pounders vs 8 for a 17. Lotta mixing of ordnance according to the target too.
    http://www.lancaster-archive.com/lanc_bomb_loads.htm
    Spelling and grammar count!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Plus one, on the ball turret - makes my skin crawl - "brave" is an understatement.

As an aside to the the "small" comment re the B-17, etc., I had occasion, sometime in the 80's, to inspect a B-25 at the Oakland CA airport where we were working at the time. It was parked with the bomb bay doors opened, so I walked over, ducked, and stood up inside. I was stunned, remembering that we routinely put 6 valuable men and several thousand dollars worth of a/c in harm's way to deliver the contents of this? It was like a small clothes closet - not sure what I was expecting, but amazed at what I found. Truly, the "greatest generation" - and we are pissing it all away.
    I was amazed at how small the B-17 was. In the movies the cockpit always looked roomy but when my wife and I sat in it, our shoulders were so close they almost touched. Maybe 6-8 inches apart.

The progression of US WW2 heavy bombers: The B17 began production in 1936 and was only designed to carry 4000 lbs. of ordnance. The B24 began production in 1940 and carried a payload of 8000 lbs. of ordnance. The B29 began production in 1943 and its payload was 20,000 lbs. of ordnance. They got a lot bigger and carried lot more in just 7 years.

Blog Entries

C-130

While not really a bomber it was used to drop the BLU82s in VN and the MOABs (Mother of All Bombs).

Would like to have a nickel for every mile I've flown in the old 4 engine green garbage hauler. Always returned me, never let me down. Took off 372 tiimes more than I landed with it.